Airport won't remember WPA password

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
I recently did a factory reset on my wireless router (Netgear G) because my neighbor is going to be sharing internet with me and I wanted to reset the password.

Ever since I did that, my Macbook won't remember the password. I have to re-enter it every time I boot up.

I tried deleting the (old) password from my keychain. But Airport doesn't give me the option to "remember this password in my keychain". There's no little box to check.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Try a search - apple f looking for a plist attached to the airport device. If you find something close delete the plist and restart. These are the preference list and there is one for every device you connect to.

If you delete the wrong one, it will regenerate the first time you reconnect.

OP
fiveightandten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try a search - apple f looking for a plist attached to the airport device. If you find something close delete the plist and restart. These are the preference list and there is one for every device you connect to.

If you delete the wrong one, it will regenerate the first time you reconnect.
Thanks for the reply...

Do these look about right? I'm thinking the one that's highlighted. Will this delete ALL my saved network passwords?

-Nick

Picture 1.png

OP
fiveightandten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still having this issue...

I used the finder to search for "airport plist" and I deleted every single preference list that came up. Every single time I boot the computer up, it automatically connects to my network, then drops it like 10 seconds later.

The odd thing is, when I go to reconnect...it will connect to my network no matter what password I type. I can type in "hjhfkhjfdshkjdfsk", and it will connect right up. First it gives me the "there was a problem connecting to "X" network". Then when I select "try again", it connects right up...without the correct WPA password.

Any ideas?

-Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would just try deleting the network from your list in System Preferences => Network => Airport (left window pane) => Advanced button => select your network from the list and remove it. Then, join it and see if it saves.

OP
fiveightandten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would just try deleting the network from your list in System Preferences => Network => Airport (left window pane) => Advanced button => select your network from the list and remove it. Then, join it and see if it saves.
Thanks for the reply. I can't seen to find the "advanced" options.

System Preferences =>Network Looks like the 1st attachment below.

If I click on "Location", the drop down menu gives an option names "Edit locations"...and when I click on that I get the 2nd attachment.

I'm running 10.4.11, BTW. Airport Firmware 1.3.5

-Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks for the reply. I can't seen to find the "advanced" options.

System Preferences =>Network Looks like the 1st attachment below.

If I click on "Location", the drop down menu gives an option names "Edit locations"...and when I click on that I get the 2nd attachment.

I'm running 10.4.11, BTW. Airport Firmware 1.3.5

-Nick

The directions I listed were for Leopard. I can't remember how to do the same thing with Tiger, but it's definitely in there somewhere. Look for a list of network names.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.