Just upgraded to leopard ?????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
Hi all,

Just upgraded to leopard and I wanted to know if I could instal the same disk on my old ibook as well. I had heard that you could install on up to 3 computers in the same house before needing the family pack. Is this true or will it only let me install one one mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The normal $129 Leopard is for One system. You need the Family pack for 2-5 installs.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
The normal $129 Leopard is for One system. You need the Family pack for 2-5 installs.

Are you sure? Leo Laporte was saying that you could put it on more than one system. He was also saying that mac was not that worried about people doing this and that M.S. was the one that had theirs locked so you could only install it one one pc. I totally remember him saying that you could install it one 3 macs and the family pack was up to five. Is this possible but apple really does not want you to or do they have it protected like M.S. does.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It really does not matter if it's locked or not. It's against Apples EULA to install it on more than one system unless it's the family pack. It is against the rules of Mac Forums to discuss anything against Apples EULA.

Sorry.

I am shocked that Leo would encourage people to go against Apples EULA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
yea...its seems really strange that someone would encourage you to do that...coz then the family pack would make no sense & no one would buy it

M

MacHeadCase

Hi all,

Just upgraded to leopard and I wanted to know if I could instal the same disk on my old ibook as well. I had heard that you could install on up to 3 computers in the same house before needing the family pack. Is this true or will it only let me install one one mac.

Are you sure? Leo Laporte was saying that you could put it on more than one system. He was also saying that mac was not that worried about people doing this and that M.S. was the one that had theirs locked so you could only install it one one pc. I totally remember him saying that you could install it one 3 macs and the family pack was up to five. Is this possible but apple really does not want you to or do they have it protected like M.S. does.

Leo Laporte should get a call from Apple Legal any second now because he obviously has not read or doesn't care about Apple's EULA (End User Licence Agreement).

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. Single Use. This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time.
B. Family Pack. If you have purchased a Mac OS X Family Pack, this License allows you to install and use one (1) copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium, but shall also extend to student members who are primary residents of that household but residing at a separate on-campus location. The Family Pack License does not extend to business or commercial users.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Leo Laporte should get a call from Apple Legal any second now because he obviously has not read or doesn't care about Apple's EULA (End User Licence Agreement).

I was not saying I was going to do it I was just really sure that that is what I heard on the radio show. I could have been mistaken but thats what I though was said.

I guess its off to the Apple store again, I need this on both my macs:D

I did the upgrade on my MacBookPro and had no problems at all. Nothing like doing an upgrade on my old PC, what a nightmare that was.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.