Downloaded Open Office but can't find Calc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Hi all,

I downloaded Open Office 2.3.1, dragged the .dmg file to the Applications directory and have OpenOffice.org 2.3.app sitting there. When I double click it, I get the Office Writer program. It looks pretty good, and just what I expected, but here's my problem: I can't find nor do I know how to open any of the other apps in the suite, in particular the spread Sheet program, Calc.

In the sub-directory, I only have a preview file, no other apps... As a matter of fact, the only Open Office app I can seem to open in the suite is Writer, and none of the others even show their footprint...

What am I doing wrong or did I do wrong?

Help! and thanks, Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Now this might not be your ideal solution, but Mac users tend to use NeoOffice which is an OpenOffice port that runs natively on the mac.

OP
Noels
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now this might not be your ideal solution, but Mac users tend to use NeoOffice which is an OpenOffice port that runs natively on the mac.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Noel

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Although I agree with Goobi that NeoOffice is the better option, you can open Calc by clicking the File menu and choosing New => Spreadsheet. It's the same way in NeoOffice, for some reason they have the word processor open by default.

OP
Noels
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cwa107,

Thanks, I figured it was something like that, but now I can't even get the program to open... I think I didn't install it properly, so I have deleted the program entirely and will try to download it again later today and try it all over.

Maybe I'll just start with NeoOffice this time.

Thanks again, Noel

OP
Noels
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

goobimama,

I just downloaded and installed NeoOffice and it's the cat's pajamas, to use an OLD expression :) It installed in 2 minutes and I was setting preferences immediately thereafter.

I still have to use it to prove it out, but it loaded a Word file and an Excel file from my PC in just a few seconds...

Thanks all again for you help and comments, Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh nice to hear my suggestion was of use. :)

May I also suggest that you try out iWork? It's a splendid office suite which I think is much better than MS Office (although pro users will disagree). And it doesn't even cost that much.

OP
Noels
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh nice to hear my suggestion was of use. :)

May I also suggest that you try out iWork? It's a splendid office suite which I think is much better than MS Office (although pro users will disagree). And it doesn't even cost that much.

Thanks, but think I'll pass - at least for now. I have Parallels to install and I'll have Office 2007 on my copy of Windows to use in the Mac environment. Between that and NeoOffice, I think I'll be covered. :)

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Trying out the 30 day trial isn't going to hurt anyone is all I'm saying ;)

OP
Noels
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Trying out the 30 day trial isn't going to hurt anyone is all I'm saying ;)

I didn't realize it had a 30 day trial... Guess I'm going to have to try it out :)

Thanks, Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.