Wireless Modem/router speed vs Modem/routers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Is s wireless modem/router meant to give you quicker broadband speed over a modem/router? My understanding is it doesn't give extra speed, as all the speed is to do with what plan you are on and how fast the speed is with that particular ISP.

My friend has two computers, a desktop which has a slower processor (P4 I think), his other is a laptop which has a fast processor (dual core 2.2GHz). He has just bought a wireless 4 port modem/router so he can use both computers but he reakons his laptop 'broadband speed' is faster than his desktop broadband speed. I find this hard to believe, I'd say he's going by processor speed on his laptop which makes the whole laptop faster.

Please correct me if I'm not right.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Maybe your friend has the power of reckoning...

Ask your friend to reckon me a new car...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
A combination router and modem in theory should not be any different than two separate devices. The WAN port on most routers and the corresponding port on the modem should be running at 100Mb/s, which should far exceed the typical 5-10Mb/s bandwidth of a cable or DSL connections.

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
ok thanks:) so I guess my friend just thinks it's faster on his laptop compared to his desktop which is what I had thought too.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
ok thanks:) so I guess my friend just thinks it's faster on his laptop compared to his desktop which is what I had thought too.

I'd put money on the slower machine being infested with spyware/adware that is eating up system resources or the network connection. Just a hunch...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.