iMac startup problems

A

aussiemac

Hi

I've got myself into a sticky situation, hope someone out there can help.

I was trying to install OSX over OS8.6 on a tray-loading G3 iMac. I hadn't updated the firmware (stupid I know - now!) and although OSX worked fine the first few times I rebooted or switched between it and OS8.6, now I get the white command screen prompt on startup. The problem is that I had told the computer to startup from an iMac 'Restore' CD which doesn't boot up to the desktop but only the the point at which you can elect to erase the HD (not an option at present) or restart - back to square 1. Inserting another CD and attempting to restart just ends up with a broken folder icon.

Can anyone assist me in advising what code/s I need to input at the prompt to be able to boot from another CD or to force it to boot from 8.6 or OSX? Or if there's a way to update the firmware from the command prompt?

Any assistance gratefully welcomed.

Regards

'aussiemac'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
When you boot up the computer hold down C so that it will boot to the CD

OP
A

aussiemac

Been there, doesn't help. Because I get the white screen when I reboot, it seems to default to that screen rather than allowing me to force it to start up using the usual workarounds (like holding down 'c', Shift or whatever). So I really need a command I can type at the prompt to get it to achieve the same result as holding down 'c'.

OP
A

aussiemac

Further to my last, does anyone know whether performing the Open Firmware command:
> reset-all

will reset the nominated startup volume back to the HD?

aussiemac

Reaction score
First off, OS X doesn't play well with 8.x. You need to upgrade to 9.2.2. (or at least 9.1)
Have you tried resetting the PRAM?
If you can get to the finder, do the firmware upgrade!!

OP
A

aussiemac

...And therein lies the problem - I can't get to the Finder, because I had set the 'startup disc' to be a CD which goes straight to an 'erase HD or restart' window rather than the Desktop.

If I'd thought about it in more detail (and read a few forums beforehand!) I would have dumped the contents of the HD onto an external HD or other computer, and done a clean install from scratch which would have included 9.2 and OSX.

I have tried the PRAM reset (using the Open Firmware command line) without any effect.

Reaction score
Reset the PRAM by restarting and holding down cmd-opt-p-r.
Let it chime at least three times before letting up.
Do you have an install cd? (not restore) for OS 9? You need at least 9 to update the firmware.
Try booting to it holding the c key. If that doesn't work try holding cmd-shift-opt-del.
Worst case, open it up and press the cuda switch (reset on motherboard) once.
Also, how old is the battery?

OP
A

aussiemac

iMac Startup problems - resolved!

Well, I have fixed the problem.

Fix involved:
Unplugging the iMac for 24 hours.
Turning on the iMac (back to the Open Firmware screen).
Typing:
>reset-nvram (ok)
>set-defaults (ok)
>reset-all

This then allowed me to reboot into OS8.6, at which point I ran the Firmware update, clean-installed 9.2 and I'm now back in business :cool:

Thanks for the assistance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.