Need a lot of help with Leopard and its network settings

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new here and also completely new to the Mac world.

Yesterday, I got my first Macbook from a friend of a friend. Its in full working order apart from a few problems which im going to ask about..

Safari isnt working. It had FireFox installed on it when I booted up the first time so im using that to browse and type this, which is fine since it was my default browser on my desktop PC. However it would be nice to try Safari.. When I load up Safari and enter a site address (any site, google, sky news, mac forums etc) and hit enter, nothing happens.. the Safari explorer does nothing.

Next problem is.. I can't update anything. If I go through system preferences and try a software update, it simply says it has timed out and cannot connect to the internet.. which is strange since firefox is working fine.

Next is MSN. Messenger Mac is installed, latest version.. Yet when I try to sign in, it says im not connected to the internet.. once again this is wrong, since I can browse fine on firefox. Ive been using Adium for now, but would love to try messenger mac.

I know this is a lot to ask for my first post but could someone give me some help? Thankyou in advance.. last but not least, I don't know what OS version it has.. I'm guessing the latest which is 10.5? If someone could tell me how to check this id be greatful.

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 2.16ghz, 2gb, 256MB
click on the apple icon on the top left and then click 'about this mac' for the OS if you have 10.5 fully updated would say 10.5.2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.