Leopard and Photoshop Elements

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24ins 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
As a new Mac user (iMac 24 ins, Leopard 10.5.2) I was upset to find that my copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements 3 does not work. However, I was also heartened to find that Photoshop Elements 6 for Mac would be out at the beginning of March so I pre-ordered it from amazon.co.uk. Had a message a while ago to say that it would be delayed until the end of March and another today putting the date back to the end of April.

I am using Elements 3 via Fusion at the moment (not without a few problems) but I dearly want to rid the Mac of any Widows involvement. I only have the trial version of Fusion and did not want to buy the full version if I didn't have to. However, obviously if Adobe keeps moving the date then that won't be an option.

Is it likely that the release date will be put back even further? Perhaps those used to Adobe will know how they behave?

Alternatively is there another programme that will do what Elements does? Simple photo editing is all I need - mostly for ebay. I am loath to move to anything else as I have used Elements for many years and would rather not waste the skills built up with the programme. Also I am learning Pages and Garage Sale so could do without having to master another app at present.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
iPhoto? It's good enough for editing my family pics. However, there is also Photoshop Elements 5 for mac I think? It should work in leopard... Not sure though.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think there is a 5 for Mac - it was mooted but I can't find it anywhere for purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
what level of photo editing do you need?

THere is always GIMP

M

MacHeadCase

Goobi, Adobe skipped Elements 5 for Mac. Since Elements 4 will not work under Leopard, the only choice with Elements, is Elements 6.

And to answer your question, pineapple, it's sad to say but Adobe is a company pretty much like Micro$oft : for the graphics design sector, Adobe is a monopoly and gobbles up the competition and the company does as it pleases. So if the company is not in a hurry to release an app, it will take the time it wants.

Like goobi says, give iPhoto a whirl. It's pretty basic but maybe this is just what you need, depending on what you want to do with your images.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies - I shall look at iphoto but I do like Elements so!

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Regarding iPhoto - I produce advertising and brochures with images for my sister who is an artist. She uses a pc - would it be difficult to send/share with her the stuff I have developed on the Mac?

M

MacHeadCase

In that case, you might have more control with Elements. iPhoto has some editing tools but they're limited.

Edited to add :

Just been at the Adobe Elements 6 for Mac website.

Expected shipping date is end of March.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks - I suspected as much. Perhaps I can use iPhoto in the interim before Elements 6 is released and hope that I don't need to do any more advanced work before then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.