Boot Camp

Reaction score
i want to install windows XP on my mac.
My old computer came with recovery CD's for windows, and we dont use the computer anymore, its just lying there, OFF all the time not even pluged in.
Can i use the recovery CD's to install windows on it?
and if i can install windows on it will i loose all of my other files?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz; 2GB Ram; Graphics: Intel GMA X3100
I am not sure if you can use the recovery CD to install Windows (You will want to find out about this first). However, if it does, you may want to use Boot Camp.

To install Windows via Boot Camp, follow the instructions from Boot Camp manual. http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup.pdf
I followed pages 6 to 14 and it worked for me.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
XP under BootCamp and Parallels

I'm about to be the proud owner of a new MBP. I've purchased a new copy of XP Pro to install via Bootcamp and/or Parallels Desktop (which I've bought too).

Question is: Can I use the same serial number that comes with the disk for both as I believe I can only use one at a time and it's on the same machine.

I read that Parallels can access the Bootcamp partition.

Has anyone addressed this issue at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'm about to be the proud owner of a new MBP. I've purchased a new copy of XP Pro to install via Bootcamp and/or Parallels Desktop (which I've bought too).

Question is: Can I use the same serial number that comes with the disk for both as I believe I can only use one at a time and it's on the same machine.

I read that Parallels can access the Bootcamp partition.

Has anyone addressed this issue at all?

Just install XP in boot camp then install Parallels.

Parallels will detect and use the boot camp partition and it's existing XP installation. I.e. The same copy of windows therefore 1 license, 1 serial. No fuss

mrplow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
My old computer came with recovery CD's for windows, and we dont use the computer anymore, its just lying there, OFF all the time not even pluged in.

thanks

It's unlikely that you'll be able to use 'recovery CDs' to install XP into boot camp. Most are customised to a particular system. They tend to be disk images that are restored onto the drive to return it to a 'factory fresh' state rather than full XP install discs.

If you post the info from the front of the disc it may help identify what you have got there.

Reaction score
Recovery CD's will not work. It can't be an OEM CD as a lot of them will only work on specific hardware i.e. dell and as well is a violation of the license agreement.

It needs to be an install disc that has sp2 slipstreamed on it. Either retail, or ideally volume license (corporate) as there is no activation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
To: Mr Plow

Thanks, just the information I needed.

I presume that configuration also gives me the option to run XP Pro in native speed mode from BootCamp rather than in the Parallels emulation mode, should the application be too CPU intensive.

I DO however want the option to use Parallels' facilities too - side by side as it were.

Sorry if I have taken the spotlight off the original thread but I'm a complete newbie with Mac as one of the latest refugees from Bill Gates.

Reaction score

thanks

MY old 2.5 year old HP laptop came with an XP SP2 CD that was labled exactly as that. It didn't say that it was a restore disk at all and any drivers were included on a second CD for that laptop.

Because of this, I was able to use the XP CD to install on my MBP. It had a built in serial number but when I went to activate it, it told me the number was invalid. I then used the serial number that was on the bottom of the laptop and it activated.

If the CD is simply labeled Windows XP SP2, you can probably use it on your Mac. If it's labeled a restore CD, you can't.

Reaction score
You can also buy and use a system builder's OEM disk and use that too - it's what I used, and it's much cheaper. Got mine at newegg.com. There are two kinds of OEM - system builder (which can be moved around) and the Dell/HP/Gateway/whatever disk, which normally can't. If you're buying XP, get the system builder version. Works like a charm.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.