CPU whine when playing games - MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX 10.5.3 Mac Book Pro 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo
Hi all

I am currently playing a game called TubeTwist and it takes up nearly all the cpu% and producing a horrible whining noise. Is there anyway I can stop this happening?

M

MacHeadCase

Hi Matari.

I've played TubeTwist and it has been around for a little while. I think the problem could be because it is a PowerPC-only version and it needs to run under Rosetta, the built-in PowerPC to Intel translation tool in OS X...

Can you try to contact the developers to see if they have a Universal Binary version coming up soon ? I remember they used to have a user forum where you could submit problems during gameplay.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks

Hi MacHeadCase

Yes, it does run under Rosetta - I will email the developers as you suggest.

Thank you

Matari

M

MacHeadCase

And if you want to ask your question in the user forum, here's the link, although it seems to be dead, no new posts for a year but try it anyway.

Keep in mind that the forum is for Windoze users and OS X users alike. DCalabrese, I think, was the head developer but am not sure.

Good luck in getting a response. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reply from TubeTwist people

Hi

Just to update - I emailed the makers of Tubetwist asking if they were planning a Universal Binary version and received this reply:

We have no plans for a Universal Binary version, however since you are running a Macbook Pro, you can install Windows XP and dual-boot into it to run the Windows version of the game.

As you can imagine I am not best pleased - I boot up into windows as little as possible, so have requested a refund again...
:Grimmace:

M

MacHeadCase

Jeez ! That's unfortunate, Matari. One day, when the market share is strong enough, game developers will take the Mac seriously.

Going on a tangent here... I hope His Steveness creates incentives for game developers to develop games for the Mac : it's not like the hardware can't handle them. If only game developers coded in cross-platform instead of using DirectX and then porting to the Mac, gameplay would be much improved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.