How do I get Safari Back??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram
So I deleted Safari because it was doing some really weird things and just closing automatically (I thought it was corrupt). But now I can't find where on the apple site to get it back. When I go to it it has the windows specs and download spot, and it says it's part of the software update for Tiger, except my software update checks for that and isn't picking anything up. Very strange.

M

MacHeadCase

Use Pacifist to get the package off of your restore or full install disk.

Reaction score
So I deleted Safari because it was doing some really weird things and just closing automatically (I thought it was corrupt). But now I can't find where on the apple site to get it back. When I go to it it has the windows specs and download spot, and it says it's part of the software update for Tiger, except my software update checks for that and isn't picking anything up. Very strange.

You might also try downloading and installing the OS X Tiger 10.4.11 Combo Update. There are two versions of this update. One is for PPC based Macs and the other is for for Intel based Macs. Choose whichever one that matches the processor type in your Mac.

I don't know for a fact that this will work, but it's worth a try. If it doesn't, MacHeadCase's suggestion of using Pacifist is still a good alternative.

In either case, make sure you run the 10.4.11 combo updater and software update to get the upgrade to Safari 3 and all of the other security patches that have come since 10.4.11.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram
I could do that but then I'd have a really old version of Safari (my disks are 10.2). Isn't there a way to simply download another version of safari from the apple website??

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram
sorry SASouth didn't see your reply before.

I tried getting the 10.4.11 combo (I'm on an Intel macbook), but now safari is showing up as a textedit file and it won't let me open it (clearly it didn't download properly). Again I can go w/ my disks and Pacifist, but my disks are old and this will give me an old safari version......strange that I can't just go to the website....

Reaction score
sorry SASouth didn't see your reply before.

I tried getting the 10.4.11 combo (I'm on an Intel macbook), but now safari is showing up as a textedit file and it won't let me open it (clearly it didn't download properly). Again I can go w/ my disks and Pacifist, but my disks are old and this will give me an old safari version......strange that I can't just go to the website....

What software are you trying to use to download the combo update? (obviously not Safari. ;D )

Also, if you're using a Macbook then the Intel update is going to be about 321 MB. The universal update is about 425 MB. I don't know how fast your Internet connection is but, just as a suggestion, make sure the download is complete before trying to open it.

M

MacHeadCase

I could do that but then I'd have a really old version of Safari (my disks are 10.2). Isn't there a way to simply download another version of safari from the apple website??

You are using Tiger, are you not ? Use your Tiger install disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.