PS3/ HDMI Issues Walkthrough Needed

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Tried the cable from work and that didn't work. I know the port on my HDTV works. I will try a different HDTV this weekend. I will be so mad if it works on my cousins $500 Vizio.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You know, if everything is working through component - and especially since your TV is only a 720p - you're not really going to gain a whole lot by switching over to the HDMI port.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With the PS3 connected through component I've got no free component inputs free. I've got all 3 HDMI ports free. I also plan on building a back board for my TV table so I can mount the TV higher and to an arm. Cutting some cable clutter would be very nice.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it's the TV. It's not the HDMI ports though; I've tried all of the with my computer. I tested my PS3 with the cable I've using on my cousin's Vizio and it worked worked fine.
I don't know what to do next.

Suggestions?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well, if the computer works on all the HDMI ports and the PS3 is working on another TV - the only thing I can think of at the moment would be to use the custom menu on the PS3 while it's connected to the Vizio and check 480p and 720p. Uncheck both 1080 i & p and save it. Then take it back to yours and only plug it in thru the HDMI. Turn it on and keep your fingers crossed.

If not, my best guess, there's no communication coming from the Samdung. On the computer, the resolution is being set and just sends out the signal without regard to feedback from the TV. Sounds like the PS3 is waiting for the TV to communicate back to it that the signal is being accepted and when it doesn't get a response, it's auto switching back to analog.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Samdung? What are you saying?? :)
I saved it in auto mode. That would have been a smart move to save it using the manual mode. I will get it touch with someone at Samsung again and see what happens.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I realized I could use the DVI to HDMI for my cable box and that didn't work either. I had the cable laying around because my Mac is too far from the TV now.
I got frustrated and spent 45 minutes on the phone with Samsung. They're sending out a repair person Wednesday.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After dealing with Samsung for many hours over the phone, they decided to send a tech out.
He tested it and the HDMI ports were bad despite what the techs told me multiple times. I think more ports (component and composite) were going bad because I bought a new DVD player on Wednesday and it didn't work using any of the 3 connection types I tried.
He swapped out the main board in my TV in a half hour and now it's working perfectly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.