List view vs. Icon view - can't see all files

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

=^o.o^=

I am having a problem viewing all my files in either list views, but I can see them all in icon view. The major reason why this is a problem is because I want to shift click a block of files to move them and I seem to be able to only do this in the list views. To select a block of files in icon view, I have to click-drag. This is fine for a few files, but I have 21,000 files to select.. Click-drag could take a long time....

So, my questions are these :
1. How come I can't see all my files in list view, but I can in Icon view (there are 131,000 files)

2. Is there any way to select a block of 21,000 files in icon view without click-drag?

Thanks a million in advance...

=^o.o^=

Reaction score
You probably hit some limitations of the Finder, one thing I know for sure you can't copy more than 65k files at a time.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Sorry but you have this completely wrong. I just copied and pasted a 45,6MB .tif file to another location.

For multiple copies, just holding down the Option key and dragging the items wherever you want them will do the trick. :girl:

Reaction score
I meant more than 65536 in quantity not in size.
Try it.

Reaction score
What he meant was 65000 files, not files of 65k size.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Oh. Sorry.

But who in the world would want or need to move 65,000+ files? I just can't see it... Unless this is from a Mac OS X Server installation?

Reaction score
Hardly ever, but if you have to you are in trouble with Finder.
To go further, if yo try to drag'n drop that much you will have to reboot.
The pasteboard server dies somehow and strange things happen :).

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Well I can understand that... I wonder if a utility like SuperDuper! wouldn't be better at this.... Kinda like if you see a backup as a file mover? :girl:

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Sorry but you have this completely wrong. I just copied and pasted a 45,6MB .tif file to another location.

For multiple copies, just holding down the Option key and dragging the items wherever you want them will do the trick. :girl:

Well this post brought me my first neg rep points in quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.