My external hard drive won't show on desktop!

Reaction score
So for a couple of weeks my external hard drive (Maxtor) has been mysteriously ejecting itself from my imac.

I have usually turned it off and on again and it reappears.

Today it disappeared and no matter what I do, no icon shows up on the desktop. It won't connect to my other mac either.

Has anyone had this problem before? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Try plugging it into another machine and see if it shows up. If not, you might have a failing drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Hmm, looks like there's a problem either with the enclosure itself or the drive has died. Hopefully it's the former as then you can simply pull the drive out and stick it in another enclosure, which are pretty cheap.

Did you hear the drive making any weird noises lately? A clicking noise or louder than usual grinding?

Reaction score
I have had this problem before, a complete repartition and reformat can sometimes bring it back to life again...

OP
K
Reaction score
It seemed a little louder than usual, but was operating fine.
It's only a couple of months old too...
It's a Maxtor one touch drive - how do I reformat it?

Reaction score
Solved!!!!

Here is the solution

here is a script ... open up script editor and paste this in

tell application "System Events" to set visible of disk "Name of Hard Drive" to true
tell application "Finder" to quit
delay 1
tell application "Finder" to launch
delay 1
tell application "System Events" to quit

then change "Name of Hard Drive" to the name of whatever hard drive you want and click run and it will pop up on your desktop!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hey I have a Maxtor one touch 3 thay wont show up on the desktop or anywhere. I've tried the fire wire , and both usb's and it won't show up. I downloaded Stellar Phoenix Mac 3.0 software for recovery & it see's the external by firewire, what gives?

GARY RUSH

Rush Videos
126 1st Ave. West
Alabaster, AL. 35007
(205) 621-3787
Rush Videos | Videography, Photography, Duplication, DVD Design, Web Design Alabaster Alabama

See my post from last week, exactly the same problem. I ran that software for 30 mins but gave up as it was so slow. I unplugged the HD, put my start up disc in to see if I could access it from disk utility on there, and when I plugged the drive back in, before even trying to look, it sprang back to life and has been fine since.
Now I'm not saying that it will work for you, but something made it, so it may be worth you going through that process to see.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.