• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Just got back from NYC: saw best and worst of retail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
While in New York, I had to visit a couple of my favorite stores: The Apple Store (on 5th ave.) and B&H Camera. The Apple Store experience wasn't a huge deal since I have one nearby, but seeing the big glass structure and walking down into the store was cool. Plus the whole experience of shopping there can't be beat. You just pick up what you want, the employee can ring you up literally on the spot, and you're on your way!

Although B&H is an awesome store to buy camera equipment online, and although their super store in NY has just about everything you could ever want, I would not recommend shopping there to anyone!! First, I could not take my backpack in with me, and wasn't too happy about leaving my backpack with MBP inside to some stranger, but reluctantly handed it over as I really needed what I came for and took 3 subway trains to get there.

I was able to find what I wanted easy enough, but that's where the good experience started and ended. When I finally got someone to help me, they had to call someone to get what I wanted from the stock room. (despite making everyone give up their bags at the door, they still don't have stocked shelves to deter theft??) Someone finally brought it up, in a big container, but I couldn't touch it yet. The guy said it would be waiting for me downstairs (why did I have to wait for someone to bring it up then??) So I go down and wait in a long line to pay a cashier. I thought that once I had paid I could actually touch what I purchased. WRONG! I get a receipt and I'm told to wait in another line!! So I'm waiting again and finally get to another person and hand him my receipt. After a little searching, he finally finds the items that I had right in front of me 20 minutes earlier. After that I am finally able to leave with my purchase, but not before waiting in ANOTHER LINE to get my backpack and check to make sure nothing is missing.

Honestly, between that and the security checks I went through at the airport, I'd rather go through the airport again. It was a lot faster and I seem to be more trusted by the TSA (who look for terrorists) than the people running B&H. It's been a great store, but after that experience I will likely consider other options for my future camera purchases. In contrast, I can never get enough of going to the Apple Store, even when I'm not going to buy anything.

End rant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
I could make a cartman joke about B&H but I do like them in all honesty. You could always shop online. But if you think they're the only people who do baggage holds, you're in for an awakening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you are not happy with the company's marketing policy, let them know why with the fact you will not be back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I personally like shopping at B&H and never have had any of those problems.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It's just such a hassle to buy even the simplest of things. I could see a $1,000+ lens or something requiring that kind of security, maybe, but for a $30 camera bag it's just too much. I could kind of understand the bag check situation, but only if they actually had product on their shelves. But all they had were "floor models" strapped down with metal cords! It was just huge overkill that made me feel more like a suspected criminal than a welcomed customer. I will definitely be writing to them, and recommending they stop by the Apple Stores in NYC to see how to treat customers right.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.