Firefox setup to use VPN connection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 4GB ram
I am in the fun position of taking instructions for my work written against XP and converting them to Mac...

I found a document that describes how to setup a PPTP VPN connection on OS 10.5. I have not done it yet but hopefully that will work.

My next step is to setup FireFox to use the VPN when it is active. I have instructions on how to setup IE..

essentially it is
"internet options" -> "Connections" (highlight VPN in box and click settings)... then set "proxy server" box and put in our Proxy and port.....

I have no idea how to do this same thing in FireFox. I am using Firefox on my XP now, I go into the dropdowns and I don't see my VPN that I created (for test purposes) listed anywhere....

How can I configure FireFox to use the existing VPN and set it up to use a specific proxy/port when it does?

Its Firefox 2.0.0.12 and it will be Mac OS X 10.5.2

Thanks... I have been poking around on the web and I can't find a single doc or forum post that helps.

Carl

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love answering my own questions :) I found a doc written by a university for their students that kindof does what I am asking.

It looks like (reading the VPN setup stuff) that I may actually configure the "web access" proxy at the time and place where I configure the VPN. So, instead of making a VPN then changing IE to use proxy YYY for that VPN, I make a VPN and set it to use proxy YYY for any web access.... Does this sound correct?

Thanks

Carl

Reaction score
Easiest thing to do is set OS X to send all traffic over the VPN. When you're in the Network Settings and setting up the PPTP connection, hit the advanced button - that's where the option is to do that.

Now all your internet traffic is encrypted.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Easiest thing to do is set OS X to send all traffic over the VPN. When you're in the Network Settings and setting up the PPTP connection, hit the advanced button - that's where the option is to do that.

Now all your internet traffic is encrypted.

Thanks. I think I understand what this would do. I still would need to set my Web access proxy and port, correct?

Carl

Reaction score
I've never used a proxy on top of a VPN, but if you need to, I don't see why it would not work.

Firefox - Preferences - Network Tab - Settings - "Manual Proxy Configuration"
Enter in your proxy address and port #

Also, check the box "use this proxy for all protocols"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.