Jumped Ship ... to iBank

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
After only two weeks, I've gotten sick of Quicken Mac 2007. :Shouting: I went ahead and purchased iBank 3 and am so much happier with it than I ever was with Quicken, even through the dark (Windows) years. Its UI is much more like a Mac app should be and absolutely easier to use. So if anyone is wondering about financial applications for the Mac, iBank 3 is the one I recommend!:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
Was it the UI with Quicken Mac that got you? I'm still running Quicken on my Windows machine and want to switch it to my Mac but I have not heard good things about the Mac version of Quicken.

I will check out iBank though. Thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
A new version of Quicken is supposed to be out later this year. Personally I've been disappointed with iBanks problems (There are other threads on it) and I'm waiting for the (Leopard-only) Quicken.

OP
JohnTheMacGeek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A new version of Quicken is supposed to be out later this year. Personally I've been disappointed with iBanks problems (There are other threads on it) and I'm waiting for the (Leopard-only) Quicken.
I haven't ran into any of those problems yet. If I do, I will definitely look at the new Quicken when it's released.

OP
JohnTheMacGeek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was it the UI with Quicken Mac that got you? I'm still running Quicken on my Windows machine and want to switch it to my Mac but I have not heard good things about the Mac version of Quicken.

I will check out iBank though. Thanks for the tip!
Although I do not like the UI in Quicken Mac, my primary reason for switching is how complicated simple tasks are in Quicken Mac. Their new offering will really have to be something spectacular to draw me away from iBank 3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
I've been using iBank for a while now and love it. Haven't upgraded to 3 yet.

OP
JohnTheMacGeek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been using iBank for a while now and love it. Haven't upgraded to 3 yet.
i was just playing with it. My only problem I'm having is I can't get the widget to recognize my data file. I think it's suppose to do it automatically but it isn't. Outside of that, it's awesome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
I haven't gotten the widget to work either, but I love it anyways.

OP
JohnTheMacGeek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Recant!

After using iBank 3 for a few days, it decided to delete all of my financial information out of the data file. The only way to retrieve it would be to recreate all my accounts and download the transactions again. Thankfully, I've continued to use Quicken along side iBank so I've lost nothing. But this incident has forced me to reevaluate my decision and I've decided to stick with Quicken and wait for the new version they are working on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After using iBank 3 for a few days, it decided to delete all of my financial information out of the data file. The only way to retrieve it would be to recreate all my accounts and download the transactions again. Thankfully, I've continued to use Quicken along side iBank so I've lost nothing. But this incident has forced me to reevaluate my decision and I've decided to stick with Quicken and wait for the new version they are working on.

This is exactly the sort of random problem I've had with iBank. Once when I went to do something a dialog sheet was supposed to open (one that "flaps down" from the top of the window), but all that happened was that a slot appeared at the top, but no dialog sheet. From then on almost everything was unresponsive, including Save, and I lost everything I'd done in that session (and the lack of saving as you work is another issue I have).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed the new Quicken is any good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
I had the same problems that John encountered when I tried the trial version of iBank. The only way I could use the program is if I started from scratch, manually inputting data going back 10+ years if I wanted to "import" the MS Money data into iBank. I had no such problems when I switched from Quicken to Money several years ago. However flawed Money is, it still seems to be the best of the lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, Money does seem to be the best of a bad bunch, but it's not much use itself. I dumped it when I started it one day and it had subtracted £8 trillion from all my account balances and refused to calculate them correctly. The fact that Microsoft software can't even do simple sums any more is what started me switched to Mac.

I don't understand why it's so difficult for all of them to just produce a working, easy-to-use finance app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5ghz, 4 gig Ram, 250 hard drive, 512 nvidia
Im using windows quicken 2004 and looking at a mac version. Ive downloaded and tried them and none seem to be up to the job. Its OK just inputting into registers but waht about some proper reporting and none have so far been able to import from quicken. I think ill just have to stick with quicken in windows.

I really feel very dissapointed with this side of my switch and wish a viable alternative was available. Guess we shall just wait and see.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.