How is OS X Tiger better than OS X Panther?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A super dumb and slow PC, a 9 inch screen and a crappy chair
Should I upgrade my Mac from Panther to Tiger (ignore Leopard, I am not planing to upgrade to Leopard)? And how to Tiger better than Panther?
Or how is Panther better than Leopard?
Need answers quick!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
There's no real reason to jump from Panther to Tiger if you're happy with Panther (unless you can get a really cheap Tiger DVD).

There is a reason to jump from Panther to Leopard though. Just look at all the stuff on Apple's website - it's all on there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
I disagree - Tiger is more in tune with what is happening on the web with regard to Flash, wireless and general connectivity. I would make the jump to Tiger - I am still on it and see no need to go to Leopard (I took it off my 24" iMac).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
There are fewer differences on the surface between Panther and Tiger, than between Tiger and Leopard. However in terms of APIs and compatibility, Tiger offers a LOT more than Panther and Leopard only offers a little more than Tiger.

One thing to consider is your hardware. Panther was pretty accomodating in terms of RAM, but Tiger is truly terrible on anything with less than 512MB of RAM unless you disable a bunch of things (widgets for one).

We're already seeing Leopard only apps (iBank 3, latest version of Handbrake, the new Quicken for Mac will be Leopard only). So my advice, stick with Panther for now, get Leopard when your apps are no longer supported on 10.3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Thomas Apple are not in the habit releasing systems that go backward. Tiger is much better than Panther with as stated Mail, Safari, security and maintenance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.