File sharing with Windows XP

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to share files between my Mac, desktop (XP) and laptop (XP). The Mac and desktop can share files with one another, but the desktop is a problem. The desktop can see and share with the Mac, but the Mac cannot access the desktop's shared folder. When I "Connect to Server" I have to connect as a guest or registered user. When I choose guest (just like with the laptop's connection) I get the message "Connection Failed - This file server does not allow Guest access." Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Johnny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
Hello,

I am trying to share files between my Mac, desktop (XP) and laptop (XP). The Mac and desktop can share files with one another, but the desktop is a problem. The desktop can see and share with the Mac, but the Mac cannot access the desktop's shared folder. When I "Connect to Server" I have to connect as a guest or registered user. When I choose guest (just like with the laptop's connection) I get the message "Connection Failed - This file server does not allow Guest access." Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Johnny

I had to same problem today when I had to do the dreaded XP reinstall due to my Dell running extremely slow and ragged. :Shouting: This is the main reason why I went with a Mac in the first place. If you simply run the Network Setup Wizard on the XP PC you should be able to access your Shared Folders on your PC from the Mac once completed. Hope this works for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.