new Mac mini won't recognize

Reaction score
I have a fresh out of the box new mac mini. I am wanting to switch from my old pc to this new mac. Following instructions I connected a brand new 2 button mouse that says mac compatible and my pc keyboard. Upon start up neither are recognized. Unplugging and replugging does give me the mouse cursor, but the red tracking light does not light up. Are there other tricks as I am on a tight budget. I also called apple support and they said both the keyboard and mouse were suppported. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you plugging your Mouse and Keyboard directly into the USB ports at the back of the mini or through a USB Hub? Every mouse and keyboard I have plugged into either of my Mini's worked without an issue.

What mouse and keyboard are you using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do you have a software install CD for the keyboard and mouse? If there are Mac items on the CD install them and let's know how you go. If it is a Microsoft unit software is regularly updated on the web site.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.