Is my ISP blocking my IP address?

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm posting to the right forum; if not, my apologies.

I'm experiencing a bizarre problem I've never encountered before using my Mac on a wireless home network.

I am a Canadian living in France. I have been here for 8 months. My ISP is a large Canadian company. I have never had any trouble downloading my email to Entourage, nor collecting email from the webmail shell on the Internet.

This morning, I found I could not download email. The error message I got was "Entourage cannot find the server. Verify the server information is entered correctly in the Account Settings, and that your DNS settings in the Network pane of System Preferences are correct."

My settings are correct, and other email accounts, with other ISPs downloaded no problem. But here's the really strange thing. When I went to the internet webmail shell, the page wouldn't load. There was no other problem using any of my browsers loading any other pages from the Internet.

I called the ISP and they said there was no problem with their servers. A friend back in Canada tried the webmail address and it loaded on their computer fine. There are two computers here at the location I'm at; both on a wireless connection and neither will load the webmail page.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I can think of scenarios where Entourage would repeatedly fail to log into the server, but none in which a site which is accessible from other computers would not load on two computers on a wireless network on which no other connectivity issues seem to be occuring.

Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Try an alternate DNS server. Or try entering the DNS lookup info in your hosts file,..

/etc/hosts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
You can also try connecting through a proxy server.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.