trying to set vlc player as default

Reaction score
I want the vlc player to be my default media player but when I go to Get Info>Open With and select VLC player it has an error that says "You cannot change the item X to always open in the selected application. The item is either locked or damaged or in a folder you don't have permission to change (Error -39)

Maybe I installed it wrong? Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I just tried it on an avi file and it worked just fine.

Try reinstalling VLC and see if that fixes the problem.

OP
G
Reaction score
I think I installed it the right way, I followed the directions in the folder. I ran the .dmg file, it created an icon on my desktop, opened it up and dragged the VLC Player icon to my applications folder. Still won't work. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, what exactly are you doing to set VLC as the default media player? What file are you getting the info on?

OP
G
Reaction score
I'm right clicking on a avi file and going to Get Info, then to Open With: and change from Quicktime to VLC, and it gives me that error message. Otherwise VLC runs fine, it's just a major hassle having to right-click files all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried any other video file to see if you get the same error?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could be a permissions issue. Download a program called Onyx and then Verify and Repair permissions. Restart and then try the VLC thing again.

Reaction score
It sounds like the file you are trying to open you don't have the right permission. In the get info dialog at the bottom where it says sharing & permissions, does it say you have read and write access?

OP
G
Reaction score
Yes that was the problem. When I was trying to set vlc as the default player I was doing it with a file I was accessing over the wireless network. Tried it on an avi on my mbp's hd and it worked. Didn't need to download that app either.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.