How To: Resize Mp3 Files (Make The Smaller)

Reaction score
How can i do this on a mac, i know that theres a lot of software in Windows but i havent found anything yet for Mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
You mean like a compression program?

Reaction score
You mean file size smaller? Just resample in iTunes.

iTunes > Preferences. Select the Advance button, and then the importing tab.

Change the "import using" menu to mp3 encoder. Change the setting to what you want: 128, 160, 192 or custom. Click ok.

Select whatever song(s) you want, right click and select "convert selection to mp3"

OP
elbolao23
Reaction score
no i mean like I have (X) Song, that is 13.50mb and i would like to either cut the last part, or keep the whole track but at a lower quality so it fits under 10mb!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
Get quicktime pro
or
Use Garageband and edit the song
then to share>export songs to itunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Or you can use Audacity. It's free and does both.

Reaction score
no i mean like I have (X) Song, that is 13.50mb and i would like to either cut the last part, or keep the whole track but at a lower quality so it fits under 10mb!

Thats what resampling is. Say you take a track thats 320kb and its 10mb. If you resample that to 192kb it will probably be something like 7.5mb.

edit - just did exactly this to see the results. Took a track that was 4:16 at 320kb. Resampled that down to 192 and end result was 6mb.

Reaction score

How do u resample a file ? n Im using Mac.... do u need a programme to do this ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Compressing it depends on the current quality of the track. If it is 192 or above compression can take place, if its less then its not going to benefit really.

Go to iTunes > Preferences (or cmd+,),
Click on the 'Import Settings' button,
Change 'Import Using' to MP3,
Change the setting to 128 or 160 - or go custom and use your own rules.
Click OK on both windows.

Select the track you want to compress, right-click (or control+click) and select 'Create MP3 version'. This will create a duplicate track with the options you set in the 'Import Settings' tab...

If you want to trim the song, right-click (or control+click) and select 'Get Info', go to the Options tab, and you will find 'Start Time' and 'Stop Time' boxes, simply enter the time you would like to trim to. Then hit OK.

After that, simply right-click (or control-click) again and select 'Create MP3' version and this will create a duplicate with the trimmed times.

Hope that helps and you didn't end up more confused after reading that... :)

Reaction score
Marty,
I have iTunes 9 and just for grins tried your suggestion on both an AAC song and an MP3 song and I don't get any choice to create an MP3 song. Is it because all my music is set to convert to AAC upon importing to iTunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Marty,
I have iTunes 9 and just for grins tried your suggestion on both an AAC song and an MP3 song and I don't get any choice to create an MP3 song. Is it because all my music is set to convert to AAC upon importing to iTunes?
Yes. Switch your preferences temporarily and you'll see the option.

Btw: Doing this will most likely have quite a negative impact on your audio quality, so I wouldn't really recommend it unless you're really hurting for space... large external harddrives are so cheap nowadays.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2 x Quad Core Xeon 3.0, 8 Gb RAM, 4TB Storage, 8800 GT
Max Audio Conveerter is the best for such things!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.