Moody network connection, help

Reaction score
Hi!

A long shot but any ideas for helping me appreciated.

I have a MacBook Air, with both wireless and ethernet.

The network connection appears to be moody. Sometimes the connection screams. When wired I can get up to 10Mbps downstream through comcast, and roaming around on wireless generally seems to work fine.

But, when I sit at my desk, sometimes it's fine and sometimes not.

Periodically, the connection will slow to a crawl -- a gmail refresh might take 30 seconds, or it might not actually work at all. Load the espn homepage could take a minute or more. Crucially, accessing files on my NAS also becomes slow or impossible (it says lost connection with server)-- so I don't think it's an internet problem, nor the DNS problem I find when I search. Won't be able to access my network printer, either.

I had a MacBook pro before, never saw this problem. Have a PC sitting next to it, wired to the same switch: always works fine and fast during this problem.

Tried:
* Network diagnostics
* OpenDNS servers
* Turning off the wifi
* Connecting different wifi base
* Releasing and renewing IP
* Even rebooting doesn't seem to fix it!

The problem seems to come with 2 events:
* I show up with my laptop, open the screen to an already on session, and plug in the wired ethernet
* I plug in the wired ethernet to the USB where I was just wireless before
(pretty much the same thing)

Once it happens, I will have slow connectivity despite the fact wireless might have been working fine a minute ago

It fixes itself on a schedule I don't comprehend. Sometimes it will just start working, sometimes I will come back next day and it's working. Doesn't seem related to my reboot, disconnect wifi connection, unplug wired connection, replug wired connection

I'm at a loss! and I'm afraid a visit to the mac store will be useless, since my network isn't there. Want to throw this thing against the window sometimes!!

Any diagnostic suggestions welcomed. thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.