Syncing Windows Mobile

Reaction score
Ok, having switched a fortnight ago, the next thing on my to-do list is to get my Windows Mobile phone to sync with my mac - preferably via USB!

Now, when I connect by USB, should it be mounting on the desktop? If no the phone itself, at least the Micro SD card inside it should be recognised?

This isn't happening though - the computer detects the phone but it doesnt let me access it..

Any ideas?
How do you sync your non-iPhones with Mac OS X?

...Who said switching was going to be easy?!?! :Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Do a google search and download a program for the Mac called Bitpim. It allows my Mac to talk to my LG VX8300 Verizon phone, and it supports quite a few other popular phones, and since I have bluetooth on both phone and Mac, I don't even need a cable.

It won't be as 'integrated' as a Windows to Windows Mobile device, but it did allow me to transfer key contacts from Address Book to my phone and if I don't have a card reader for the micro SD card wherever I might be I can transfer photos and video to and from my phone, albeit a little slowly.

Oh, and it's free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers
In my reading on getting ready to switch the Aximsite recomended The Missing Sync - lot of Mac users had it working fine, with some limitations compared to Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I just switched over and I chose Missing Sync. It worked right away, just like the ActiveSync you are used to. Starts itself up when you plug in via USB. It syncs my contacts, calendar, etc perfectly.

I have a Verizon VZW6700 w/ WM5.

OP
V
Reaction score
I just switched over and I chose Missing Sync. It worked right away, just like the ActiveSync you are used to. Starts itself up when you plug in via USB. It syncs my contacts, calendar, etc perfectly.

I have a Verizon VZW6700 w/ WM5.

Before you installed it, was the computer still detecting and allowing you to access the memory in your phone/storage card?

I have a HTC S710 (Orange SPV E650) by the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Core 2 Duo iMac, MacBook Pro, iPod Classic 80GB, iPhone 3G
What about iSync?

iSync

This is what I use to sync to my PDA and it works wonderfully.

Tom

OP
V
Reaction score
iSync was the first thing I tried - it didn't work - it says something like 'sync not available'.

OP
V
Reaction score
Try " the missing sync "

Do a google search and download a program for the Mac called Bitpim. It allows my Mac to talk to my LG VX8300 Verizon phone, and it supports quite a few other popular phones, and since I have bluetooth on both phone and Mac, I don't even need a cable.

It won't be as 'integrated' as a Windows to Windows Mobile device, but it did allow me to transfer key contacts from Address Book to my phone and if I don't have a card reader for the micro SD card wherever I might be I can transfer photos and video to and from my phone, albeit a little slowly.

Oh, and it's free.
Thanks - downloading it. They only seemed to have a version for Tiger though whereas I'm on Leopard...hmm, fingers crossed that it works!

Thanks to everyone else who helped too.

Oh and about Missing Sync - it will be my second port of call. $40 just for syncing software?! I couldn't find a trial available for it either...hmm!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I honestly don't remember if I could access my memory card or not prior to installing Missing Sync.

I also know that I was cheap and downloaded an older version of Missing Sync I stumbled across, hoping to save the $40. I pulled my hair out trying to get it to work. Finally I realized it just wasn't Leopard compatible. Forked out the $40, and the latest version worked instantly.

In a pinch, if you're using Parallels, I assume you could start Windows and make a quick transfer that way. Not a long term solution though.

OP
V
Reaction score
Just an update - went to dowload the Missing Sync and I thought I'd check up on the forums to see if it was Leopard compatible etc.

I posted around a week ago and so far the only replies I've got are from customers who are pretty outraged at the problems THe Missing Sync for Windows has caused them - and there are a lot of them!

So I guess I'm going to have to find something else then...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
The Missing Sync had caused me NOTHING but syncing headaches when I used it.

I no longer use a WM phone, but a friend of mine still has an Axim, and he found a program called Sync Mate that he uses, and loves it. I have seen it work, and it works well. I'm not sure what he paid (if anything) for it, but it's worth a shot. He is using it under Leopard on his MacBook, so I think that means it's still well supported and updated.

Reaction score
I just got Sync Mate and I can connect just fine via USB. I can't seem to figure out how to get connected via WiFi. I keep getting this error message: "Connect to device failed. Make sure what SyncMate driver started on your device."

When I first connected via USB, the Sync Mate driver was installed on my Windows Mobile device. On the MacBook, when I try to Add a new WiFi device under Connection, I tried both the device name and the IP address. It tries to connect and then I get the error message. Any ideas?

Edit:

After fiddling around some more, I was able to connect via WiFi by adding the SyncMate program to allowed programs in the firewall on the MacBook, as well as setting the SyncMate driver on the Windows Mobile device to Allow All for the WiFi connections.

So my question now is, how do I get the connection to work using the Allow only listed devices option? I tried using the IP address, and it doesnt' work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.