Apple Replaced 3rd Party RAM

srp

Reaction score
I sent my MacBook in for repairs and I just got it back this afternoon. About 2 weeks ago, I purchased some memory modules from Crucial.com but Apple removed them and replaced them with the two original modules. There's no reason given for the removal of this RAM. Is this normal behavior? Should I just put the memory back in? Or, what? :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
What was the problem with the MB? Sometimes non-mac ram is the issue, and replacing it with apple ram might have fixed the problem.

OP
srp

srp

Reaction score
What was the problem with the MB? Sometimes non-mac ram is the issue, and replacing it with apple ram might have fixed the problem.

The fan was grinding. So, they replaced the fan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
They always take it out so when they boot it up they know everything works properly with the stock RAM.

OP
srp

srp

Reaction score
They always take it out so when they boot it up they know everything works properly with the stock RAM.

That would explain why they removed it. So, would it be alright to put the other memory in if they didn't indicate anything was wrong with it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
So Apple replaced the modules and sent you the Crucial modules as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Your third-party RAM is not covered under APP. For any work to be done on your computer, any third-party, non-Apple DYI upgrades (RAM, HDD, etc) must be removed/replaced prior to a repair. They can only verify that the computer works using the parts and materials that they have provided and/or installed.

OP
srp

srp

Reaction score
So Apple replaced the modules and sent you the Crucial modules as well?

Yes. Now, I have 2 sets of Apple RAM (the first set that my MacBook came with and now this new set that Apple put in after removing the Crucial RAM). There's no reason given, though, as to why they removed it in the first place.

OP
srp

srp

Reaction score
Your third-party RAM is not covered under APP. For any work to be done on your computer, any third-party, non-Apple DYI upgrades (RAM, HDD, etc) must be removed/replaced prior to a repair. They can only verify that the computer works using the parts and materials that they have provided and/or installed.

Okay. I can understand that. It just seems like a waste to send me new memory modules when I already have the originals that my MacBook came with. If they needed the Apple RAM, I could have easily put it back in before I shipped it. But, I didn't know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It sounds like a mistake to me. The techs take apart dozens, if not hundreds of Macs a day down at the depot. They probably just forgot how much memory was supposed to be in, or temporarily confused yours with someone else's, or put memory in for testing and forgot to take it out.

You can try to return the extra Apple memory I suppose...I don't know if they'd accept it...or just sell your surplus on Craigslist.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Gloss, 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 160 GB @ 7200 HDD, 256 MB 8600M GT
I hope it's at least the same capacity RAM that you had originally....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.