Can't open system preferences?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MDD G4 Dual 1Ghz 1.75GB RAM 120GB HDD Radeon 9000Pro 20" Acrylic Cine
I recently reinstalled OS X 10.4, and yesterday, I started having problems with not being able to open system preferences. If I click on the Apple in the upper left, then select system preferences from the drop down menu, the icon appears in the dock for a split second and then goes away. Same thing if I try to open display preferences or any preference menu. The only way I can get to system preferences is to click on the lightswitch icon in the dock. I tried repairing disk permissions, but that didn't help it any. Do any of you guys have any ideas before I try and reinstall my OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
One question - did you use the full retail version of Tiger, black colored DVD and not a grey model specific version?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MDD G4 Dual 1Ghz 1.75GB RAM 120GB HDD Radeon 9000Pro 20" Acrylic Cine
I did use the retail version of 10.4 and I am updated to 10.4.11

Reaction score
I have same issue as TheLordsServant. When icon appears briefly in the dock, as described, it's the icon ("gears") associated with Leopard. Appears that this didn't get over-written when I re-loaded Tiger and removed Leopard.
System preferences open properly by other methods, but not by the Apple drop-down menu selection.
Is there an easy solution to restore Tiger Preferences selection from the drop-down?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.