Ultra ATA/IDE/133 Controller card for Macs ??

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Brand new to this forum, and fairly new to Macs as well, so I will be asking a lot of questions I imagine over the next few days - please be kind (to all you Mac experts/gurus)

Anyway - my first one is this:

I found out after the fact that my (just bought used) Mac G4 (dual 450) running OSX 10.3 (soon to be upgraded) can only read 128gb of my slave 180gb drive...and so now I need a Ultra ata IDE controller card.

When shopping for these - it seems they average (in price) around 10-15 bucks....but for WIndows machines...and ones compatible with Macs (at least per the Ebay ads) are around 45-75 bucks.

Is this right?

I realize hardware is cheaper for Windows based machines overall - but something so simple seems to have such a large price difference..it makes me feel as though I am not looking in the right place.

Even my Google searches come up with the same results

So...I am wondering if there are other cards (other than say....Tempo) that are compatible with Macs/OSX that are not in the $50 range.... like Adpatec for example

(for clarification however - I am not looking for a SCSI card - or a SATA - I am trying to install a "regular" IDE Hard Drive larger than 128gb)

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Jaek

Reaction score
You need to make sure that the card will support booting the Mac. That little fact has caused more than one person to leave the 128 gig drive in as the master and add a larger drive running off of the controller card for data. The Mac boot chip or driver can mean a higher price, but 10 bucks doesn't sound right for a PC card.
Oh, one other thing, welcome aboard!

OP
J
Reaction score
Well not sure what you mean by "You need to make sure that the card will support booting the Mac"...

But to (hopefully) answer your question and/or respond to that comment - actually - I have an 80gb as my master and want to add a 500gb slave for data (I am using this mac primarily for Video/Fim editing with FCP

However - (and perhaps I should have mentioned this in first post) I did remember when in college and using my first G4 (dual 800) I added a plain ole ATA card that came with the Western Digital Drive ...and I seem to remember it working...but that was like five years ago...and a bit foggy....

As far as the price I quoted earlier for "windows cards" - I was talking ebay prices.

You can type in : ultra ata ide controller card in an Ebay Search and come up with almost a hunderd results for ATA/IDE controller cards for Windows....the majority of which are under 10 bucks

Thanks for the welcome..

Jaek

OP
J
Reaction score
Yeah I have seen the "ACard" cards...was hoping to find something cheaper - the reason for the post

Thanks

Jaek

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.