Giving away my MacBook Air...how to erase data without removing programs?

Reaction score
So my client bought me a Macbook Air and was nice enough to load Office 2008, Aperture, iWork '08. Very nice of him.

Problem is I don't need another laptop so I want to give it to my brother in law. I haven't used the computer that much but I still would feel better if I could erase all the data (internet history, cache, downloads, etc).

I know i could just pop in the installation disc, erase, and reinstall 10.5 but i don't want to get rid of all the programs.

My client did buy the programs but didn't think I would need the discs. He's also out of the country and who knows where they are now.

Is there any way to "restore" OSX without removing applications?

thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So my client bought me a Macbook Air and was nice enough to load Office 2008, Aperture, iWork '08. Very nice of him.

Problem is I don't need another laptop so I want to give it to my brother in law. I haven't used the computer that much but I still would feel better if I could erase all the data (internet history, cache, downloads, etc).

I know i could just pop in the installation disc, erase, and reinstall 10.5 but i don't want to get rid of all the programs.

My client did buy the programs but didn't think I would need the discs. He's also out of the country and who knows where they are now.

Is there any way to "restore" OSX without removing applications?

thanks!

My suggestion would be to create a new user account for your brother in law and then erase your old one. That should remove any personal data stored in your home folder, while preserving the integrity of the OS and applications installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black; 2.2 ghz core duo; 2 gb 667 mhz DDR2 SDRam; 8x SuperDrive; 160 gb hdd
Can I be your brother-in-law? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You're best bet is to wait for your client to send you the discs. Technically the software cannot be on the machine unless the physical discs are in your possession anyway.
Otherwise, a complete reinstall would be needed.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. I know, it's not good to have software without the discs. mea culpa. I'm keeping it in the family and im not selling it so im still able to live with myself. im just loaning it to my brother in law forever...

I will try the new account, delete old one. see how that works out.

all the software is registered under my name of course which makes it a little off as well but whatever. =)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.