Is it possiable to reformat External HD?

ECW

Reaction score
Without losing everything. I have a Western Digital HD that is in Fat32 and I need to make it in NFTS. how do I do this without losing everything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Copy the data somewhere else and move it back. Formating doesn't erase the data per se, but it makes it does make the drive seem blank. You can get the data back, but it is not a fun and/or easy process.

You do realize that Mac's don't write to NTFS right?

OP
E

ECW

Reaction score
I just figured that out. I only have one file that i need to transfer thats over 4 gigs so I'm just going to move it to my Desktop and burn it on a dual layer DVD. I'm going to make this HD thats in Fat32 my music one then get me a new one for my big movies and other stuff and format it in Mac Journal or something since I wont need to be transfering it to a PC or anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That's the go EWC. Drag to desktop and burn, go to Disk Utility, select external HDD and reformat, using options if you wish to zero the drive, and Mac OS Extended (Journalled).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook / 2Ghz/ 2Gb RAM / 80G HD / superdrive
Copy the data somewhere else and move it back. Formating doesn't erase the data per se, but it makes it does make the drive seem blank. You can get the data back, but it is not a fun and/or easy process.

You do realize that Mac's don't write to NTFS right?

I just copied the data off my NTFS formatted external drive (primarily was for my PC). Is there a way to reformat the drive so I can write to it with OSX (10.4)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If all of the data is backed up somewhere else, then just fire up Disk Utility and format the drive to either FAT32 or HFS+

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool...thanks. Reformat complete. I can write to it now. I didn't see either of those two options that you mentioned. A friend messaged me back and said that DOS would work (want to write using the PC too). That appears to be the case (just dragged and dropped a few files in).

Reaction score
Ive just reformated my external hd but wish to use it on my pc too, Ive been told to use partition magic but I cant access my hd from my pc, why is that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't need to partition it. I just had to format it for DOS so both systems could recognize it. I can now unplug it and open it from both Mac/PC without any issues.

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination...but you may have the drive formatted so that only Mac's can access it.
twocents.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.