What is the life expectancy of a MBP battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Minis, iPhone 6/5S, iMac, Mac Book Pro
I bought the MBP in July 2007. I keep it on the charger all the time. I have noticed that the "battery health" is 63%. I have conditioned the battery several times by taking it off charge and letting it run down. In these situations, I also let it sit like this for a couple of hours before hooking the charger back up.

Is everything I have described considered normal? How long does it take, on the average, before having to replace the battery?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I bought the MBP in July 2007. I keep it on the charger all the time. I have noticed that the "battery health" is 63%. I have conditioned the battery several times by taking it off charge and letting it run down. In these situations, I also let it sit like this for a couple of hours before hooking the charger back up.

Is everything I have described considered normal? How long does it take, on the average, before having to replace the battery?

It depends on how frequently you completely discharge it. In normal use (let's say a full charge/discharge cycle at least 3 times per week), you'll probably get about 18 months (in my experience).

I've found that they tend to last longer when they're kept charged, or within 75% of their capacity.

Again, just my personal experience... YMMV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
All of my Apple notebooks have kept their batteries for an average of 3 years each before I had to replace them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Seems pretty difficult to pin down, from what I've seen on these boards.

Everyone tells a different story.

Let's hope yours is a long one. ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Seems pretty difficult to pin down, from what I've seen on these boards.

Everyone tells a different story.

Let's hope yours is a long one. ;)

Well, batteries are consumables. Much like the oil in your car, you'll see longer life depending on how you use your machine. There is no scientific way to tell you how long your battery should last.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
It seems like there should be a "Battery Thread Disclaimer" sticky.

There are three on the front page right now.

Reaction score
The big problem is, a lot of people OVERTHINK how to properly condition their laptop.

Apple design's their laptops to be used as a mobile device. That said, the best way to keep your battery working is to use it like a mobile device. ie, don't always have it plugged in, don't always let it drain down to zero, don''t always use it unplugged.

For example, the average notebook user will have it plugged in sometimes and unplugged others.. Using your laptop from full battery power to say 60%, then putting it back on a charger is a GOOD way to use your laptop; this is how it was designed and how a majority of people use notebooks/laptops.

Perhaps once a month or even two, it may make sense to "calibrate" your battery.. This would mean allow it to drain completely and recharging it.

Reaction score
By the way, is there a way to get a new battery after for example 1 1/2 year through AppleCare?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
this is a funny question to always see.

my answer: How long does a person live?

answer to that, it varies based on how they lived it :)

just use and abuse it, itll die anyways.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.