Mac maintenance

Reaction score
Avid Windows user. I just bought a macbook pro and after a few weeks I have this nag at the back of my brain saying I need to do some maintenance. This because of my PC experiences. Do I need to perform these functions? Clean up ads and spyware, viruses, and defrag the system.

On a second note. I have been using a 24inch monitor and i think it is making my mac run slower; is this normal or an anomaly? I have 2gb in the mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
For the most part your Mac runs maintenance scripts at daily, weekly, and monthly intervals. If you want to do more you can download Onyx and it will perform not only those, but other things like cache cleaning and the like.

I don't know about your monitor. I run a 22" on my MBP and I haven't noticed a speed difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Have you done you software updates???

Reaction score
I can't see how using a larger monitor would affect performance not with todays modern hardware.

I felt like this when I first moved to the Mac but there really isn't the need to run all the maintenance that you would on the PC.

I just run repair disk permissions every now and again, this can be found in the disk utility.

Virus and spyware, I don't even check, never had a single issue on the mac. You have to remember that you are now using a superior computer system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I use OnyX once a month. That does the trick for me.

Reaction score
Don't get too concerned about cache files, they are there for a reason. The Mac uses them to quickly access data, otherwise it has to hit the hard drive more often. Religiously deleting them actually slows the Mac down while they are rebuilt. This ain't Windows!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.