Less password entering

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Is there a way to make leopard ask for passwords less??

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
When I open vmware it ask for admin password, when i open safari i get asked my keychain password

Reaction score
I hear that Chimpur, I can't get it to stop. If I open Safari, I have to enter the admin password, major PIA. Firefox, Cyberduck, NetNewsWire. Pretty much everything.

I'm running Leopard, Santa Rosa 15" MBP

Reaction score
I've always avoided Keychain, so I don't know whether you can dump it altogether once it's been set.

At least with the initial setup, with Tiger anyway, you don't need a password. Leaving the password box(es) empty prompts a warning, but if you ignore that, from then on a simple mouse click is the password. But that leaves you open to quick clicking malware OKs.

Passwords for some web sites that won't stick, such as Yahoo mail's and even those of some banks, will remain if you're running Firefox and the extension/bookmarklet Always Remember.

It works even with the very old OS 9 Mozilla browser that won't accept most extensions and no bookmarklets whatsoever, simply by bookmarking the Always Remember bookmarklet on the web site, and choosing it before entering the password. It's JavaScript. I've never tried the old-Mozilla method with Safari. I doubt it could work, though.

Reaction score
I have keychain set, am using Leopard and hardly ever get asked my password unless I'm saving to something that needs admins privileges or something like that. I certainly don't get asked while just opening Safari or any other application.

You must have set some kind of option for that somewhere. I tried to find it, but I didn't come up with anything. Check in your system preferences> security or the preferences in the application.

But it definitely can be done cause it doesn't happen for me :) Sorry I can't be more helpful than that. Maybe someone else will know where it is.

Reaction score
The problem is that the OP is running the application directly from the downloaded DMG file. Instead, try dragging that file you're clicking on into the "Applications" folder in the finder. That will install the app once and for all, and you will no longer be prompted for a password everytime you run the program - assuming you now run the actual app and not the downloaded uninstalled package.

Robert

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Safari, msn, mail are all installed in my applications folder. Maybe it has something to do with having secure virtual memory on?

AJB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8 24"/ 13" macbook pro / G4 tower & cinema scrren / 12" powerbook / classic curvy G3 laptop!
It is nothing to do with having secure virtual memory on. When you are prompted to save passwords in the keychain, via a dialogue box, do you accept that option? If you do then you will not need to re-enter your password for any application. Use the keychain fully and you should not have this problem.

Reaction score
boberonicus, that's definitely not the problem. All of my daily apps are in my Applications folder, and I only run a direct DMG when I'm testing some beta or whatever.

AlyciaAnimation, I've looked everywhere trying to find the appropriate option, and so far I've found nothing of much use.

I read a few threads here at MacForums and came up with trying Safari's autofill preference. Still hasn't helped, I'm prompted for a keychain login password everywhere I go. ******.

Yeah, and virtual memory isn't going to be the problem either, or at least I doubt it.

Anyone else? I like keychain, but it's becoming a pain.

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Having keychains password the same as my accounts login password has cured my problems!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.