Reformaing iMac to sell

Reaction score
Hey evryone new to the forum, Im in a difficult situation or maybe i jus dont know how to use macs lol, anyways I have an Imac the thicker ones not the pro and Im selling it to my friends grandma and I want to reformat it before I sell it to her .. It has version 10.4.11 on it. I pop the disc in and it restarts and ask me the language I want to use .. I click english,, then It goes to the next step and say this software cannot be installed on this computer.. The disk came with my computer s o I don't know what Im doing wrong .. Can anyone help me?? thanks!

Tyler

Reaction score
If you head into System Preferences and then to Accounts (under the System subheading) you can create a new user ("Grandapple" or whatever) with administrator privileges, logout of your old account, login into the new one, and then delete the old account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Selling it to your friend's Grandma?
It might say you can't install it because you have 10.4.11 installed and the disc is 10.4.4 or something. You should be able over ride that and click erase and install.
I don't recommend the previous mentioned method. You really need to zero out all the data so no one can access it again. A simple delete won't work well to protect against obtaining old data which is sorta what the previous poster described.

OP
T
Reaction score
it wont let me continue, The only think i can do is go into disc utilities and click erase but i dont wnat top ease the harddrive if i cant re install the os..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You will be able install to the disk if you format first without a problem. I will pay full price if it doesn't work. Seriously, I will. But you won't have any problems.
when it asks though, zero out the data. It will take 45 minutes per pass but it's well worth it.

OP
T
Reaction score
OK so heres the news .. I erased everything on my hard drive and now went to install the os but its saying the same thing again. Now I cant use my computer :( Hwats the best way of dong this

Reaction score
Phew, it's a darn good thing we stopped that shifty grandma from accessing his data by rendering the computer unusable.

Now I cant use my computer :( Hwats the best way of dong this

You should probably grab bryphotoguy's contact information so he can write you a cheque.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.