About to buy a 20 or 24in iMac...Some ???

Reaction score
I am contemplating buying either a 20 or 24in iMac. It will be used as a family computer. It will sit in the hallway near the entry for family members to use. Everyone's calendar will be on it. Kids will play some games (elementary school age kids)

1) Do you think a 20in is big enough or should I spring for the 24in?

2) Does it have built in speakers?

3) Is it easy to buy RAM and add it myself? I did it for my macbook a couple of months ago.

Anything else to consider?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
24" The LCD panel in the 20" is not very good. A quick google search will tell you why. Upgrading RAM is simple. Unscrew a simple panel and you're in. It does have built-in speakers.

Reaction score
I second what bryphotoguy said. The 24 is a much nicer screen.

AJB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8 24"/ 13" macbook pro / G4 tower & cinema scrren / 12" powerbook / classic curvy G3 laptop!
I bought a 2.8 Gb 24" for the same reason as you. The backlighting is better on the 24" screen than the 20" and it is much better as a work space. Go for the 24".

Extra memory is very easy to add. Just slots in underneath. Crucial or whatever, in matched pair, is FAR cheaper than Apple branded memory.

It does have built in speakers. If you want really good sound though you will have to spring for some external ones.

Reaction score
I am contemplating buying either a 20 or 24in iMac. It will be used as a family computer. It will sit in the hallway near the entry for family members to use. Everyone's calendar will be on it. Kids will play some games (elementary school age kids)

3) Is it easy to buy RAM and add it myself? I did it for my macbook a couple of months ago.

Thanks

So you're thinking of plopping down $1800+ on an Imac but haven't even read the basic specs on the Apple website?

TWM

Reaction score

spring for the 24
yes!
3) Is it easy to buy RAM and add it myself? I did it for my macbook a couple of months ago. Yes it is, and will not void the warranty

Thanks

I just purchased the 2.8 24" 500gb 2gb RAM, about 3 weeks ago. this computer is absolutely amazing. the reason i bought the 24 inch was because the picture quality was better than the 20 inch. In the end, i was really happy i went with the 24, because with the remote control, it works great as a 2nd tv for my bedroom. and with itunes now doing movie rentals, it really is a great media device as well. Good luck with what ever you choose, as i am sure you will be happy with either one.

Reaction score
I bought my 20" iMac at BestBuy. They had the 20" and the 24" side by said and I used both. I honestly thought the display on the 20" had more even lighting on it. The 24" seemed to have patches on either side where the lighting was uneven.

I also thought the 24" was too big for my needs. I was shocked at how big it actually is.

TWM

Reaction score
i think i heard somewhere that the older 24" had that issue, but its fixed now. LOL the 24" looks very large on a desk!

Reaction score
i think i heard somewhere that the older 24" had that issue, but its fixed now. LOL the 24" looks very large on a desk!

Well this was only a week and a half ago at BestBuy, the same time I bought my 20" so this was a new one.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I tried to read the specs but did not see any mention of speakers on the Apple UK website

I ended up getting the 20in because the 24in was going to be about $600 more and since it will be used by kids I could not bring myself to run the risk of something even more expensive being destroyed. Plus the 24in will be too big for the entrance hallway, where its going to sit.... next to the kitchen. It will not get used as a TV at all.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I tried to read the specs but did not see any mention of speakers on the Apple UK website

I ended up getting the 20in because the 24in was going to be about $600 more and since it will be used by kids I could not bring myself to run the risk of something even more expensive being destroyed. Plus the 24in will be too big for the entrance hallway, where its going to sit.... next to the kitchen. It will not get used as a TV at all.

I know you will love that iMac! There is absolutely nothing wrong with the displays on the latest 20" and they run smoothly. Did you get any extra Ram to add to it? I bought 2GB of the Apple ram when I bought mine for a total of 3GB.

Anyways, enjoy!

TWM

Reaction score
also, the only problem i saw with the 20" when i bought mine 3 weeks ago, is that the backlighting was not as even as on the 24". it was slightly brighter towards the bottom and was Extremely hard to even notice. I am not sure why the 24" you saw had patchy backlighting, there must have been something wrong. Mine is perfect

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The 20" is fine. I've been chuffed with mine ever since I bought it in August.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" Alu | 2.0Ghz C2D | 2GB RAM | 250GB HDD | Snow Leopard
The 20" is mint - glad you went for it. I have had absolutely no issues with the screen. The 24" is way too big!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
I have a 20 inch iMac. No issues with the screen. Remember to calibrate your display for optimum contrast, brightness, and specially color.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 600MHz CPU, 16MB VRAM, 384MB RAM, 100MHz Bus, OS 10.4.11.
So you're thinking of plopping down $1800+ on an Imac but haven't even read the basic specs on the Apple website?

Let's all congratulate mreg376 for using their one and only post to criticize another member! After all, that's what these forums are for.
And let us not forget that, after having had opportunity to peruse the Apple website in it's various forms, in search for technical specifications, one inevitably finds the process to be quite tedious and unfulfilling. After all, Apple hasn't actually bothered to make mention of the speakers on the iMac. Apple also hasn't bothered to include a decent search engine on their ill-organized website, so it seems to me that it is perfectly reasonable for a lady to post such queries on this website. It does not however, warrant the sort of disparaging remark that mreg376 left for such a lady. Granted, mreg376 might have meant well by pointing to the fact that one must research carefully those products that are most expensive, but I would point to the fact that forums like these are some of the best sources for this very research.

-Colin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.