Hard Drive Replacement Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 1.83 ghz, 512 mb RAM, 60 gb HD
Well, unfortunately today my hard drive failed and starting getting the folder/question mark problem. So, I am looking to buy a good replacement HD that isn't going to be loud or crap out on me. I initially was looking at the WD Scorpio 250, but I saw quite a few complaints from Macbook users saying that the drive sometimes clicks and fails within a week or so (SMART error - not sure what that is). So, what do you guys suggest as a good replacement HD? I don't necessarily need 250 GB, but I will like to purchase something that has a good amount more space than my current 60 GB drive. Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 MBP, 3gb ram, not enough disk space, iPod Classic, iPhone, techno-addiction
I can't give a specific brand (although I did just swap out my wife's PB drive with a new Samsung 80gig... she doesn't need the space), but spend the few extra dollars on rpm. I would never again go below 5400rpm and would much rather have a 7200rpm drive. The Samsung I swapped into the PB was bought by an Apple reseller so I knew it would be compatible. Check out http://www.ifixit.com/ for a few drive choices too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Notebook
HDD Replacement

I work in the HDD industry and would recommend the Seagate Momentus 7200. There are several models with varying capacity. I would go for the 200GB model. It runs at 7200 rpm and has great access time. It's also been around for a bit and is a known performer. Samsung is an up and comer in this market and have just released a 500GB model. These higher end models will cost a bit more but you get what you pay for. Good Luck :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.