Reformatting question

Reaction score
Hi, so basically I am a total n00b. I currently have a 17" Macbook Pro but for portability purposes I would like to get my old iBook working again just so I can use it to take notes in class and whatnot. It runs kind of slow and doesn't always boot up properly so my first inclination is to reformat the hard drive. The problem is I no longer have the discs needed to do this. My question is: Can I use the OSX instillation discs that came with my Macbook Pro to reformat the hard drive on my iBook? Would it be better to buy Jaguar? Anybody have any ideas about how I can make this work? I would really really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

-Aaron

Reaction score
depending on the speed of your ibook i would say panther is the better os. unless u have the highest end ibook with maxed out ram go with tiger but panther is the more stable platform. for reformatting i believe u can either use disk utility to startup the reboot from cd or hold down the c key while the cd was already in there and start it up from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Your Macbook Pro discs will NOT work with the iBook. Even PowerBook discs will not work. You will either have to get a retail disk or the exact disc that came with your iBook (at least of the same model).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.