Re-install OS9 in a Mirror G4?

Reaction score
Reinstalling OS9?

Hi everybody (excuse my English):

Here's my question: I have a Home Recording Studio with Pro Tools and a lot of plug-ins installed in an old G4 running OS9 . As this computer has broken I'm trying to switch to another Mac I have, a dual/mirror G4 with OS9 and OSX.

I tried to replace the hardrive of the dual G4, for the one of the old Mac (to keep all the stuff inside), but it couldn't be recognized. I want to do this, because I've loose some of the installers of my plug-ins, then I cant' reinstall all my stuff into the new drive.

The dual G4 recognizes the old hardrive if installed as a secondary one, but obviously, the programs won't run this way, 'cause it's not the main drive.

There's any solution for this?. Maybe I have to install another version of OS9 in the old drive?. I've listened that the type of OS installed in a dual G4 is different than the one installed in a single G4. (Or these computers -dual and single- use different type of drives?). (The OS installed in my old G4 is 9.2.2, and in the dual is 9.2)

Thanks in advance for your HELP!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Why don't the programs run? - are they relying on any extensions or control panels from OS9?

Hunt down any prefs, extensions and control panels from pro-tools and add them in to the OS9 folder on the new G4's 9 system folder - see if that works

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi everybody:

Here's my question: I have a Home Recording Studio with Pro Tools and a lot of plug-ins installed in an old G4 running OS9. As this computer has broken I'm trying to switch to another Mac I have, a dual/mirror G4 with OS9 and OSX.

I tried to replace the hardrive of the dual G4, for the one of the old Mac (to keep all the stuff inside), but it couldn't be recognized. I want to do this, because I've loose some of the installers of my plug-ins, then I cant' reinstall all my stuff into the new drive.

The dual G4 recognizes the old hardrive if installed as a secondary one, but obviously, the programs won't run this way, 'cause it's not the main drive.

There's any solution for this?. Maybe I have to install another version of OS9 in the old drive?. I've listened that the type of OS installed in a dual G4 is different than the one installed in a single G4. (Or these computers -dual and single- use different type of drives?). (The OS installed in my old G4 is 9.2.2, and in the dual is 9.2)

Thanks in advance for your HELP!!!

Reaction score
Just burn a CD of the music apps and there extensions ,etc and move
them to the new computer. You can run apps off a second drive if there
extensions are in the system folder of the master drive, same OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.