imac mod?

M

missyvortex

Hi

I know this is bizarre thing to ask but I am curious about whether anyone has ever modded a new g4/g5 imac to fit in a g3 imac case.

You may ask why but I think the only real advantage to the new imacs is the updated hardware and tfts, but that it would probably with some effort be possible to mod new hardware to fit into an old coloured imac case - simply because it would be so nice to have all the style and coolness of coloured imac but the hardware of one of the new ones.

I haven't seen anything like it done, only the guy on applefritter.com mods section who converted a 21" monitor into a 21" imac. That was cool but overkill, be nice if someone had tried the above.

I know if someone worked out how to do it then I'd pay them to make me a modded one.

OP

1337_Blur

Are u kidding me? That is absolutely insane, if you ever found out where to do that i would like to know.

OP
M

missyvortex

Well incase anyone reading this thread is interested here are some related links

Firstly the link to the guy who made 21" imac. I think its far too big but its still amazing he even did it successfully, though he did point out how dangerous it was.

http://www.applefritter.com/hacks/21imac

Another one is the iPC - the imac mod to fit pc hardware in. Very interesting and I wouldn't mind trying that sometime if I ever have the time or spare/cheap hardware.

http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=463166

The third actually highly relevent link is to the dissasembled imac g5 pics. As you will see warranty means nothing to them - they've just taken it apart as soon as they got it but its very cool to see whats inside.

http://www.kodawarisan.com/

I think the main issues show from the pictures are that heating would be an issue if rehousing the g5 innards, not to mention it doesn't come with 15" screen so would have to scale down with different screen used - maybe connecting it internally and setting up as the mirrored external monitor whilst it misses its inbuilt original one? Also as you can see ports are all very close, on same board. not sure how you could deal with that, probably need new side panel anyway, since there are more but I guess there was a similar problem when they built the iPc, so probably solvable.

Reaction score
Why would you want to but a G5 or a very nice looking G4 into a G3 iMac case? That would be ugly.... And then you have a fat CRT. THe LCD in the iMac G4, G5 are way better than the CRT in a iMac G3. Why would you do this ... REALLY.. :confused:

missyvortex said:
Hi
You may ask why but I think the only real advantage to the new imacs is the updated hardware and tfts, but that it would probably with some effort be possible to mod new hardware to fit into an old coloured imac case - simply because it would be so nice to have all the style and coolness of coloured imac but the hardware of one of the new ones.

The "only advantage" is the TFT and updated hardware. Thats pretty much the whole machine!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think we was going to put the lcd panel in the crt frame, i.e. take out the crt and replace it with a lcd and install the g5 components behind in the case...

though it does seem a shame to waste the pretty iMac g5...

OP
M

missyvortex

mynameis said:
Why not just get an eMac?
it has crt and the whole idea i was mentioning was to fit a tft (plus g5 components) into an imac case. could just fit tft into emac but then emacs are larger case and just plain white.

OP
M

missyvortex

shaun89 said:
Why would you want to but a G5 or a very nice looking G4 into a G3 iMac case? That would be ugly.... And then you have a fat CRT. THe LCD in the iMac G4, G5 are way better than the CRT in a iMac G3. Why would you do this ... REALLY.. :confused:

The "only advantage" is the TFT and updated hardware. Thats pretty much the whole machine!!!!

Well some people actually prefer imac g3 case to the 2nd and 3rd generation imac designs.
personally i don't like the whole big band of useless white at the bottom of the g5 imac, under the screen, think it would have looked more balanced if it was thinner band.

but given that i like the imac g3 cases and it isn't impossible to fit other hardware or a tft into those cases, then a g5 imac in what i consider a nicer case would be good from my perspective.

OP
W

WilliS

bad idea guys...

you are going to fry a $1000+ machine.

apple doesnt pay R&D teams hundreds of thousands of dollars a year for nothing... the newly designed imac is made in a way that allows for maximum cooling... it took them a year or so before they moved the chip from the g5 powermac (which even had heat issues..i wouldnt recommend modding that either) to an imac...

you're playing with fire.....and whats gonna burn? your processor, hard work, and money...

if anything, stick to a g4 to mod... you will wreck less havoc on that than you would a nice new imac g5

OP
M

missyvortex

WilliS said:
bad idea guys...

you are going to fry a $1000+ machine.

apple doesnt pay R&D teams hundreds of thousands of dollars a year for nothing... the newly designed imac is made in a way that allows for maximum cooling... it took them a year or so before they moved the chip from the g5 powermac (which even had heat issues..i wouldnt recommend modding that either) to an imac...

you're playing with fire.....and whats gonna burn? your processor, hard work, and money...

if anything, stick to a g4 to mod... you will wreck less havoc on that than you would a nice new imac g5

yeah, a g4 mod would be good enough but still the question of has anyone actually tried it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.