External Drive works for windows but not Mac. Issue.

Reaction score
I've had a 500gig USB 2.0 External Hard drive for about 5 months now (on my macbook pro) and its holding about 400 gig of my work. Its has been working fine in all that time until this morning. I now get a window saying "Initialize", "Ignore" and "Eject"

Hiting Eject or Ignore obviously don't solve this problem and when I goto initialize none of the repair functions are available to me.

Weird thing is, when I start up my macbook pro in windows mode, the hard drive works fine and I get get to my work.

Is there an update or software that I can use to get the drive working on mac osx leopard again? Has there been a new update out that has caused this problem in the first place?

Any Help will be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Is it FAT32?

Run any repair programs in windows and see if that fixes it

OP
Q
Reaction score
Is it FAT32?

Run any repair programs in windows and see if that fixes it

I have now stupidly tried to get parallels working with it, unfortunately I forgot my parallels wasn't working and have had to delete my vista partition. Now my boot camp doesn't seem to be working and I have had to use disk utility from the osx install disk. I repaired the broken files and tried boot camp again however it still comes up the same "partition failed" message.

I am now runnning disk warrior to see if this can fix the rest of my broken files.

I shall keep you updated.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Finally got boot camp back working, seemed there was lots of file errors. got vista back on the computer too so I can still access hard drive that way.

Now try to get parallels working n see if that helps any.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Fat32 i think. It did work with both my leopard and windows for months but not it only works for windows. it just doesnt mount on the mac ::(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.