Two Airports?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 27" Imac running 10.9
Can anyone advise if it's possible to link two airports to extend the distance over which a wireless network can reach? Here's the situation. I have my office in a building about 120 feet from my house. My desktop is in the office, along with an airport extreme. I want to install a wireless link in one of the rooms in the house which currently gets a weak wireless link. If I add a second airport in the house, would it be able to speak via the office airport and so provide a decent signal? If this is possible, is it easy to configure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Probably not great at those distances, but you can always add a wireless repeater. Some dlinks something or other that will boost the signal halfway. But by using these you can boost distance but cut speed in half. Every addition in between cuts the speed of the connection by almost half.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Yep, it's called wireless bridging. All you need is an airport express, not a full-on airport extreme base station. Plug the express into a power point closer to your main base station so that it still gets decent signal that it can then pass on to the room you want to reach. If your main base station is as close to the office as you can get it already, then you're not going to get much benefit from the airport express solution since it won't pick up more signal than your airport card. If that's the case, you're better getting some sort of signal booster.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 27" Imac running 10.9
The wireless network can reach the nearest rooms in my house to the office. It struggles with the far away rooms which is where I want to rig another airport. I have a Time Machine and an airport express so will spend this evening trying to configure the system.

I've already discovered that my G4 running OS 10.4 doesn't want to link to the new Time Machine even though the signal is strong. I keep getting an 'invalid password" message every time I try to join the airport network even though the password I'm typing in is correct. My Imac running 10.5.2 had no problem. Took no more than 3 minutes to get the Time Machine up and running with the same settings as the Airport Extreme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
Just to let you know, time machine is a backup program. "Time Capsule" is the router/external harddrive that you use for your airport.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.