• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

final cut express or premiere

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, macbook, ipod
hi all, i'm fairly new to video editing on a mac and in need of some advice. i have been operating a mac for several years now though, so they are not entirely new to me. i have been using imovie but have really outgrown it. looking to upgrade to something better but i don't have the cash to purchase the full fc studio plus i don't think i need all the high end features of the full studio.
i know this is a mac forum so people are naturally going to say fc is the way to go, but if anyone has any objective advice, i'd appreciate it. i'm really not very familiar with either fc or premiere, so any help would be great. if it makes any difference, i'm also about to purchase dreamweaver cs3, having had a bit of experience on it in the past.
cheers for the help!

edit: sorry, almost forgot, i'm operating on a brand new imac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sorry this is not more detailed but I personally do not like Premier. Used it for years also on my pretty high end home built PC's. I just did not like it and it tended to crash a lot. Friends in the video field I know personally who use it have a lot of the same issues I did.

Final Cut seems so much more stable overall and I like the interface more. I have a LOT more experience though and editing time in on Premier, but really like Final Cut a lot from the little I have messed with it.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, macbook, ipod
thanks. can you give me any details on features than one has over the other?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.