slow internet connection....

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I am needing help with my internet. I just recently got back in town and my MBP internet connection seems to be slower than normal. All the bars on the airport are filled, but the pages take a good 8-12 seconds to load. Any clue what's causing this? Any ideas how to speed it up?? I have a linksys routher btw. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Have you tried restarting the router?

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok I really don't mean to beat a dead horse... but I read that second thread you posted and I still don't understand what I need to do. Could anyone explain this to me in simpler terms? Thank you so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Turn the power off and leave off for half an hour and disconnect router from wall. Turn router back on at the wall and see if there has been any improvement. Next step inquire from ISP re problems.

Reaction score
I did the following and it seemed to fix my problem.

Adding the OpenDNS DNS server addresses (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) to Network Preferences > Advanced > DNS.

Not sure what the heck this does, but I am able to load web pages about as fast as I was before the problem occurred.

Here is how I did it.

1. Click on or your System Preferences icon from your Dock to open up System Preferences
2. Click on the Network icon to open up the Network window
3. Click on the Advanced button
4. Click on the DNS Tab
5. Add the DNS Server addresses 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 to the DNS list by clicking the + button.

Reaction score
I was wondering.....

TRI3,
Can we use the same numbers you gave or do we have to get our own? Isn't that your own internet address you are using? Or does it belong to a linksy router? Because I have a linksy router for my imac and I have a 20 inch desktop and a 17 inch laptop, and lately my internet is very slow it is always loading now and I have broadband, and sometimes the page will come out just blank when it is done loading. I had 2Gb of memory about 4 months ago I added 2Gb more for the total of 4GB memory and I just now started having problems. Although I do not think it has to do with adding memory, because I added it a long time ago and this just started recently. I forgot to mention I have now hooked a direct link to my router and keep trying them both airport on and airport off and I still have the same problem a slow connection. Please any help you can give me will be appreciated. Also my son has a Cyber power PC hooked directly to the router the Tower is humongous it is a gaming computer, I don't think that would cause the problem he has had it for a couple years now. PLEASE HELP!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.