connecting my MacBook to the tv to watch dvd collection

Reaction score
I am trying to connect my macbook to my television in order to watch the dvd collection i have uploaded on an external hard drive. I've been doing research to try and find out how to go about this, considering I'm a some what new to this. What I've found is a device on the apple website which plugs into my computer with an s-video cable outlet. From what i see this will work, but I'm looking for a way to connect it to my tv with an HDMI cable for higher quality. Any clue on how this can be accomplished? Thanks in advance for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Before using the HDMI connector, check to see whether you have a VGA or DVI port on your TV.

If you don't, then using HDMI isn't too difficult. What you'll need is the mini-DVI to DVI adapter, and a cable that has DVI on one end and HDMI on the other. Note that this will only output video, not audio. If your TV has a 3.5" minijack, then all you need is a simple 3.5" minijack cable. If not, then you'll need another way to output audio. Perhaps an adapter that converts from a 3.5" minijack to the red and white RCA cables.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok so I get what you are saying about the mini-DVI to DVI adapter and DVI/HDMI cable combination along with seperate audio hook up. But what is the deal with checking my tv to see if it has a VGA or DVI port? I'm not too familiar with what they are. Any chance you could perhaps explain it to me a little further. Otherwise thank you very much for the tips you have given me thus far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The reason I'm asking you to look for VGA or DVI is that it gets rid of a cable that you would have to buy, and the possibly consequences that go along with adding a layer of complexity to an otherwise simple task.

Take a look at this thread to see what DVI and VGA connectors look like.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok thank you for the thread of what the connectors look like, but I'm still a little unclear on one thing. You are saying that a VGA or DVI connector on the TV would be optimal, and I would therefore not need another cable to go from DVI to HDMI. But where I'm confused is why you would not prefer to ultimately get it to an HDMI hook up. I was under the impression that HDMI will get me the best quality when hooking my macbook up to an HD TV. Is this incorrect?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DVI and HDMI offer the same quality since they are both digital connections. The general benefit of HDMI is that it offers a single connector for both video and audio, a benefit you clearly can't utilize. The other benefit is that it allows you to watch high definition content via Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, another benefit you can't take advantage of.

The differences between VGA and DVI are negligible at the resolutions most TVs offer, so even if you only have a VGA connector, it's still better than bothering with HDMI. Plus, if you have a VGA or DVI connector, chances are you also have a 3.5" miniplug nearby, which would greatly simplify getting audio from your Macbook to your TV.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok, thank you very much for clearing that up for me. So if there is a VGA or DVI connector on my TV, are there mini DVI to DVI cords long enough to use out there so I don't have to get the mini DVI to DVI adapter along with a DVI to DVI cord? Sorry I just haven't been able to find one cord like that so I'm wondering if you happen to know if that is available. And either way you are saying I need that hook up to my TV, or a conversion to HDMI IF there are no VGA or DVI connectors on my TV, and i also need a 3.5" to 3.5" audio cord or 3.5" to RCA cables if necessary? Just trying to make sure I have it all straight. Thank you so much for your help!!

D

darque

My laptop makes a great dvd player

I just purchased a big lcd flat screen, new surround sound receiver, HDMI ready... I plugged in the little white mac monitor converter ($15.00) from the back of the tv to the moniter port on laptop; worked with the sound on the tv not the surround sound----- Until I rigged up an old male to male plug ------

male cord leaves headphone jack (laptop) and plugs into the back of receiver in what ever extra port available. bing bang boom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The adapter itself won't be enough to connect your laptop to the TV, it's simply an adapter. The reason is that the majority of people who buy an adapter use it for external monitors, all of which come with their own cables. Plus, you wouldn't want a predetermined size for the TV either, as that way you can buy the size most appropriate for your setup. Don't worry though, DVI cables are pretty cheap online.

And yes, you've understood it beautifully. :D

OP
B
Reaction score
Alright Kash! Again thank you for all your input!
Darque - are you saying that the sounds just through the TV worked when you only had the plug connected to the TV (no additional audio plug), but the surround sound kicked in once you hooked up an additional male to male audio plug? Sorry I'm just not following what you said exactly.

D

darque

Sorry this I have not beenback in a year or so...
To answer your question.

No. I had a hdmi 40 ish foot cable connected from receiver to tv. receiver set to (whatever your plug went into) and the tv to the correct setting (?) and my surround sound was normal and perfect to begin with....

There is a pc (female) plug that my laptop monitor out plugs into to the tv change the tv to PC mode and my mac shows right up! no sound though. had to run a male to male regular headphone 40 foot w/extentions cable from a port on receiver to headphone on laptop and when i switch all to pc it works like a charm....
hope that makes sense sorry bad at tech terms

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.