• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

It's called a Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iSheep

This is annoying me so much now.

This thing I'm typing on now is called a Mac. This forum is about Macs. Apple make Macs. There are different types including the iMac and the Power Mac.

It is not called a MAC. MAC means Medium Access Control. Mac, MAC, Mac, MAC. You've got no excuse. When you start up your Mac is says Mac. It probably says Mac somewhere on your Mac. Press the Apple menu and it says About This Mac.

Once more, for the record:
It is called a Mac

OP
C

cde_woods

MAC is also a cosmetics brand or someut like that. Quite annoying, I agree.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Mac - Apple Macintosh computer
MAC - Mandatory Access Control
MAC - Media Access Control
MAC - Atlantic Mackerel (FAO fish species code)
MAC - Chief Machine Accountant (Naval Rating)
MAC - Immaculata
MAC - Macaroni
MAC - Macau (ISO Country code)
Mac - Macedonian (linguistics)
MAC - Machine Address Code
MAC - Machine Aided Cognition
MAC - MacPaint (File Name Extension)
MAC - Macro (File Name Extension)
MAC - Magazine Association of Canada
MAC - Magnetic Accelerator Cannon (Babylon 6)
MAC - Main Automation Contractor
MAC - Maintenance Action Code
MAC - Maintenance Administration Center
MAC - Maintenance Allocation Chart
MAC - Maintenance Availability Computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Should I make a blanket statement.. that Mac users are anal? Or should I do a more precise statement? iSheep is anal? If I say that I booted up my MAC and Panther froze.. who in their right mind is going to mix Medium Access Control up with Apple Macintosh Computer? Give it a rest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
In most discussion boards, TYPING IN ALL CAPS IS SHOUTING! IT'S VERY DISTRACTING! When I read about someone's MAC, and they're not talking about Media Access Control, I feel like someone's shouting Mac! in my ear.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
A MESSAGE TO ALL THE MEMBERS! Grammar Nazis have invaded the boards! Please turn of your boilers before they burn you! And be sure to hide wherever you can. Hitler shouldn't be in power for too long.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What is the problem here. When I see MAC. I thnk of Machine Address Code or MAC address. is that a problem or is that my problem. When I see mac I have to seewhat context it is being used.

With that, I will leave it to you guys/gals to argue this.

OP
I

iSheep

It really isn't that hard not to write it in capitals, it just seems a bit pointless. It just suggests to me that whoever is typing it isn't too sure that Mac is short for Macintosh.

It is rude to shout and I always read it like somebody is shouting Mac, it's just rude and unnecessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
When you are on these forums you automatically think of Machine Address Code or MAC address and do not look to see what the context is? You see:

I bought my MAC yesterday and man it is awesome! I wish everyone owned MACs!

you read:

I bought my Machine Address Code yesterday and man it is awesome! I wish everyone owned Machine Address Code's!

If we were in any other forums besides a Mac forum then.. I could possibly see that, but since we are not.. actually we are.. if you look up at the title of your browser, we are in the Machine Address Code-FORUMS.com forum.. yet no one has mentioned the descripency... EVER. It's a plain case of letting a tiny tiny little thing irritate you (you as in whoever it annoys), you need some excitement in your life so you nitpick little issues like these, which again in context, it shouldnt be hard to figure out what kind of Mac, people are talking about regardless of whether one letter is capitalized or all of them are. IF we get annoyed at little things like this, when there is something to really be annoyed about, you're going to be balistic. Now did you read IF as if? or Information Freeway?

I've already given iSheep his 20 minutes of fame, and hopefully since he was able to vent, it's all good. I've seen this type of thread come up once in awhile, the same with people dissin' others because their english is not very good. It's about communication people, and there is nothing wrong with correcting someone in a nice and reasonable way, how else are we going to learn? When ranting and raving about something, yes it might help them learn, but it's also going to run people away, in your personal life, on forums, wherever you're ranting and raving. If I am just beginning to use MySQL for example, and someone is helping me to learn it and I make the BIG mistake of saying My Seaqual instead of My S Q L and he starts ranting and raving at me how he hates it when people say it that way and that it's not right, blah blah blah.. Im sorry, but that does not help anyone.. Ill go learn from someone else, or forget it, if MySQL users are that uptight.. Im not sure I want to be like that.. MySQL must be a headache to learn for people to act like that!

Mac users are supposed to be some of the most laid back people out there, loving, forgiving, understanding, like to experience their computers, not use them as a tool, or get annoyed about how something is spelled or capitalized.

All the "you's" in my post are users that get annoyed by such things, put your name in there if you feel like you are one of those people, otherwise don't worry about it :)

Wow.. ok after that book I think Im done on this topic, enjoy, and if you need to rant and rave, thank you so much for keeping it in this thread, and not poluting other threads when people are just wanting help, not grammer or punctuation lessons.

Enjoy!

Rick

OP
A

adiliegro

6 of one, Half a dozen of the other. Mac, MAC, maC, we all know it means Mac. In the grand scheme of things, who really cares? I love my MAC! :) (sorry, couldnt resist).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
rman said:
What is the problem here....With that, I will leave it to you guys/gals to argue this.

Actually, in my opinion, ther is nothing to argue about...When you read a post, you can see by it's context if somebody's talking about a Mac or a MAC-address...no matter if it's all-caps or not.

And by the way, iSheep, since we're at it: it's called PowerMac, and not Power Mac... at least, that's the way it's written in my PowerMac's manual...so before ranting, check it up correctly :robot:

But Abs is right, I see more and more discussions about grammar. Allthough I wouldn't go as far as he does (the Nazi approach), I would like to see those ranting people on a German or French board, and see their spelling and grammar in a FOREIGN language!
Guys, there's one thing you should keep in mind: The world is a little bit bigger than USA, Canada, Australia, England, Scotland and Ireland (native English-speaking countries, sorry if I have forgotten any others). And the Internet is world wide. So please, before critizising others on their grammar, check your own foreign language skills.
Oh, and by the way, we foreigners also don't really understand HipHop language, as some refer it to... it's just a rape of the English language.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
yeah lets all just drop all the grammer and spelling stuff nobody cares neway since every1 can understand it we will save so much time if we jsut dont bother with it all and while were at it theres no point in punctuation or line breaks either we can just post the same way we do on aim all the time i think that would be so much easier for every1 were all smart people we can get everything from context oh and by the way avalon the manual on the apple site sez "Power Mac" not "PowerMac" and so do all the other apple web pages so i dont no where you got that from

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" G4 Powerbook & 80g iPod classic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
I suppose I might as well post my "pet peeve" as well, so everyone be sure to make note...

your = the possessive form of "you"

ex. Is that your Macintosh?

you're = the contraction of "you are"

ex. You're a Macintosh owner?

OP
C

CaptainMack

Absolute Zero said:
A MESSAGE TO ALL THE MEMBERS! Grammar Nazis have invaded the boards! Please turn of your boilers before they burn you! And be sure to hide wherever you can. Hitler shouldn't be in power for too long.

you spelled off wrong :eek: :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Sure, it may be annoying or slow down your reading speed a little, but in all honesty, is grammar that much of a problem? Sure, I get annoyed when I'm reading emails, essays, websites etc... in fact I'll go so far as to point out the error and demand it be fixed :). But on a forum where people from different countries with different ages are free to post it's a different situation. You have to recognise that not everybody has a first-class education in English. When you look at the world of techno-jargon the number of people who have a good grasp on the 'rules' diminishes even further. And that's something we'll all just have to live with :)

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Oh my god, iSheep. Cry us a river, build us a bridge, and get the **** over it. Seriously, its not a big deal. Now go hug your MAC a little more, non-living objects really need love.

OP
W

WilliS

for some of the more jargon-knowledgeable, MAC does stand out to us... i agree, when people say MAC, i immediatly think 06 a9 95 dc 00 09 39 or some other random assortment of numbers which signify an address of a LAN card... another thing that is a little twitch inside all us jargon kiddies... people saying "NIC card"... no lol.. Network Interface Card card? but hey, if you work with someone every day, and you use the term every day... it might be something you let them know they made a mistake..and it would be cool if it were corrected... but on a forum.. chill out... i spent 5 minutes stumbling over sentences that didnt flow in the "im very dissapointed by apple" thread...but hey, no one jumped on him for not speaking english very well... oh wait..yes someone did... absolute zero... big suprize there... lets see... switzerland has 3 languages in a country twice the size of new jersey... and english isnt one of them... so before you go knocking someone, think about it... because you're just making a fool of yourself.

and if you want to rip me apart too absolute... go right ahead, but before you do, how many languages do you speak? and if english was your 4th language, and you wrote like fabio, would you be happy knowing 95% of what was said was understandable? i certainly would... i wish i could even know a second language that well...

sorry, got on a tangent...

we are on a mac forum.. this forum will include words like:
Mac
MAC
Apple
PC
HTML
MySQL
C++

the list goes on and on.. so big deal, read the sentence, figure it out... you're all smart people (giving the benifit of the doubt), i trust you can do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.