Add text to photo in iPhoto

Reaction score
I'm so sorry if this has been posted before but I can't for the life of my find how you add text to a pic on iPhoto. I know its doable in greeting cards but i need to put some texts against some pics. Not catlols I swear.:)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
I never use that software. If you changed your post title from 'Done before? Text?' to 'Add text to iPhoto pic' or something similar, you may get a better response from someone that uses the software :)

M

MacHeadCase

I used iPhoto for making an iPhoto book (results were totally dazzling, btw) and you can definitely write text for an iPhoto book. Not sure if you can write text just like that in iPhoto for regular photos though... :Oops:

OP
C
Reaction score
Add text to iPhoto pic?

Under the advice of another member I've made the title of the thread a little more obvious. I've no idea how to put text on a pic in iPhoto. I know you can do it with a greeting card and all that but I need to know how it's done for a regular pic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Putting text directly on a photo

I'm so sorry if this has been posted before but I can't for the life of my find how you add text to a pic on iPhoto. I know its doable in greeting cards but i need to put some texts against some pics. Not catlols I swear.:)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Long explanation, but it works!

1) Have 'FINDER' open in Task Bar
2) Put photo from 'iPhoto' or similar program onto the Desktop
3) Double Click photo
4) 'PREVIEW' should now be at the top of your Mac

If you have not done so, go to VIEW, CUSTOMIZE TOOLBAR, and drag 'Annotate' button to your Taskbar

5) Use the Annotate 'button' and arrow down until you see 'Note', click or highlight
6) Drag, (curser turns to a cross mark) a box that will have the word 'text' in it (highlighted in bright green)
7) Tools, Show Font, select your font (This is a small screen, I sometimes leave it open & move it out of my way)
8) Tools, Color, use the crayons feature, select color or black or white (White is perfect for most pictures)
9) Type you notation
9) After completing, the box can be positioned anywhere on the photo
10) To test printing (I'm using a HP) Select 'Paper size' 4 x 6 and print it on 8 1/2 x 11

In my next life, I am going to rewrite manuals! ☺

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
If you want to add the text to the photo, so it appears in all uses of the photo, you'll have to edit it. Using InkScape (a free download illustration package) as the editor:

1. Select the photo and drag it to the desktop.
2. Start InkScape and IMPORT the photo from the desktop
3. Click the Zoom button to scale the image display to fit the workspace.
4. Add a layer.
5. With the Text tool, type the text (on the new layer).
6. Switch to the Select tool.
7. Use the Select arrows to position and scale your text. Pick a color for it from the spectrum (at the bottom of the screen).
8. Use the Command-Shift-4 function to snap your new photo to the desktop.
9. Drag the new photo from the desktop to the Photos heading in iPhoto.

(My dad had a Kodak Autographic Camera, which had a window in the back, with a stylus, to write directly on the negative.)

Reaction score
A lot of those steps are not needed. If you work on photos often then Preview should be keep on the dock at all times, it is one of the most underrated apps on the mac for people new from the Windows world.
It does a lot more that just let you view one image at a time.

To add text to a photo just drag from iPhoto to the Dock and drop on Preview (doesn't even have to be open and running), use Annotate to add text then save with a new name to the desktop, then drag photo with new name to the Dock and drop on iPhoto, it will be imported with the new name ready for you to do what ever you want.

Reaction score
Well I'll be dipped! I wondered what Preview was good for. I was just about to remove its icon

Reaction score
It's so easy to over look what Preview is able to do. Drag and drop a folder on Preview, then check out who you can view the folder with the buttons below the side bar, using the Contact Sheet view you can use the slider to change the size of the thumbnails, use the Next or Previous buttons or the arrow keys on the keyboard to scroll photos. Use Preview's Tool menu to crop, change size, Adjust Color, Rotate and flip, also check out the Inspector to see all kinds of info about the photo (Tiff, Exif). I don't know why Apple doesn't have a good tutorial for Preview to help people from over looking it, but so many of the Apps that come on a Mac look so simple that people don't investigate them and start looking for software to download to do the things came on their Mac.

Reaction score
Well, ya learn something every day. I had NO idea Preview was so versatile. I've given up trying to print a photo card in Pages - the sizing is impossible - at least for me. I hate to admit it, but MS Office was SO much easier.

Although now when in Preview and I go to Annotate and the menu is grayed out. Sigh. But I surely see the potential and will now use it for sure. Thanks!

Reaction score
Well, ya learn something every day. I had NO idea Preview was so versatile. I've given up trying to print a photo card in Pages - the sizing is impossible - at least for me. I hate to admit it, but MS Office was SO much easier.

Although now when in Preview and I go to Annotate and the menu is grayed out. Sigh. But I surely see the potential and will now use it for sure. Thanks!

In Leopard the annotate in the Tools Menu is for PDF's, To Annotate an image you will have to add it to the tool bar by Right clicking on the tool bar and choosing "Customize Toolbar". Drag the "Annotate" button to the toolbar and then it is available for images by clicking and holding for a second. In Snow Leopard clicking on the annotate button will cause all the different Annotating options to appear at the bottom of Preview.

You can make some pretty nice Photo cards from the "Stationery" that is built into Mail, You can print it out or send as email. iPhoto also does cards that you can have printed professionally or print out yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24in, MacBook2.4GHz IntelCore2Duo, PowerBookG4 1.25GHz w/one RAM slot, PowerBookG3, IIci
How to add text to photos quickly and easily.

I agree that preview is a neat program, but the instructions from Apple on how to use it are not very good. :Grimmace: Anyone know where there is a better online manual for using all the features of Preview? Or of a list of better programs similar or better than it? Good comments here by Pomeroy!

Reaction score
Thank You.... Pomeroy..

In Leopard the annotate in the Tools Menu is for PDF's, To Annotate an image you will have to add it to the tool bar by Right clicking on the tool bar and choosing "Customize Toolbar". Drag the "Annotate" button to the toolbar and then it is available for images by clicking and holding for a second. In Snow Leopard clicking on the annotate button will cause all the different Annotating options to appear at the bottom of Preview.

You can make some pretty nice Photo cards from the "Stationery" that is built into Mail, You can print it out or send as email. iPhoto also does cards that you can have printed professionally or print out yourself.

*****Well this worked perfectly... I'm working on a Macbook that I wanted to add text to a photo on my 3Gs.... Like I posted.. Worked perfectly and thank you for teaching me a thing or two on my Mac. It's so true, there are so many things you can do on a Mac, that you never really know until you come to a forum like this to find out!! Thank you too Mac Forum.

C

chas_m

Another option that might be a little easier (and a LOT more versatile/powerful) is to use the *free* Portraits and Prints software from EconTechnologies. It works beautifully with iPhoto.

Reaction score
Annotating an Image with Tiger?

Hi,

I have an older Mac iBook G4 with OS 10.4 and the Preview that came with the machine. When I open "Customize Toolbar" there is no "Annotate" button that I can drag. Do I have any options? I too am trying to add text to photos in my iPhoto library.

Thanks!

Reaction score
*****Well this worked perfectly... It's so true, there are so many things you can do on a Mac, that you never really know until you come to a forum like this to find out!!

It amazes me the number of people who dont know what "One to One's" are in an Apple store. When you purchase your Mac you have the option to purchase for a really minuscule amount 1 hour lessons on a one to one basis (as the name suggests) every week for a whole year, to learn anything you want about how to do anything you want on your Mac.

When I switched from PC and knew nothing about Mac's this was invaluable and the trainers they have in the stores are brilliant. What I noticed however was that most people taking advantage of this service were older so when I asked why that was I was told it was because the younger people who bought Mac's preferred to go away and work it out for themselves......more fool them! I now have full use of my Mac including knowing what preview can be used for and only occasionally have to remind myself on how to do something that I was taught by these fantastic people.

Reaction score
It amazes me the number of people who dont know what "One to One's" are in an Apple store. When you purchase your Mac you have the option to purchase for a really minuscule amount 1 hour lessons on a one to one basis (as the name suggests) every week for a whole year, to learn anything you want about how to do anything you want on your Mac.

When I switched from PC and knew nothing about Mac's this was invaluable and the trainers they have in the stores are brilliant. What I noticed however was that most people taking advantage of this service were older so when I asked why that was I was told it was because the younger people who bought Mac's preferred to go away and work it out for themselves......more fool them! I now have full use of my Mac including knowing what preview can be used for and only occasionally have to remind myself on how to do something that I was taught by these fantastic people.

That's fine if you live close to an Apple Store and bought your MacBook at the store, because that's the only way you can get this wonderful help. I live 2 1/2 hours away from the nearest Apple Store and so I bought mine at Best Buy. You get NO HELP from Best Buy; however, I could certainly not take advantage of any Apple Store help, because of the travel distance. I went from a pc to a Mac and have had to figure it all out for myself over the past 2 months. I'm 72 years old and have mastered most of the obvious changes. I come here often, though, to get answers to questions just like this....."how to add text in iPhoto." An invaluable forum. :)

SML

Reaction score
Thanks!

Cecil and Pomeroy - thank you so so much!! This has been a real problem for me and between you , you have revolutionised my job!
:Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.