g3 600mhz - I Broke 10.3.3 install during update to 10.3.9

Reaction score
Okay, my little cousin just got a mac, I have NO EXPERIENCE with macs.

I was using the system update to update OSX from 10.3.3 to 10.3.9, and during the update the system lockedup and froze, so the computer had to restart, it was somewhere about 80 percent done in INSTALLING the update to 10.3.9. Now while the laptop is booting up, showing the white screen with the grey apple logo, the circle of progress bars continues to show that the computer is working but after 10 minutes the computer still does not boot.

I have a copy of the 10.4 Tiger Discs from a friend that I intended on installing, they are not the original discs they are copies he made me. The files on the discs when inserted into my pc show .dmg files, there are 4 seperate cds each with a single .dmg file on them.

Will these discs boot in the mac to skip the installed OS, or I was told that I might have to convert the .dmg files to get the files out of them in order to install this way.

Basicly, I cannot get onto the OS and its not my computer, I technically broke it since I installed the update, what do I have to do/can i do to fix this thing?

I need to install 10.4 on this thingie without loading into the OS.... What do I do? Do the .dmg files work? Do I need to convert them to an ISO format and burn that so that the cd structure contains all the files within the .dmg file instead of just housing the .dmg file? Are the Mac discs bootable? What do I need to do to boot and install the operating system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Can't help with the Tiger part.

I was using the system update to update OSX from 10.3.3 to 10.3.9, and during the update the system lockedup and froze, so the computer had to restart, it was somewhere about 80 percent done in INSTALLING the update to 10.3.9. Now while the laptop is booting up, showing the white screen with the grey apple logo, the circle of progress bars continues to show that the computer is working but after 10 minutes the computer still does not boot.
As as far as getting the laptop to work, try this link.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106464

M

MacHeadCase

Okay, my little cousin just got a mac, I have NO EXPERIENCE with macs.

I have a copy of the 10.4 Tiger Discs from a friend that I intended on installing, they are not the original discs they are copies he made me. The files on the discs when inserted into my pc show .dmg files, there are 4 seperate cds each with a single .dmg file on them.

Will these discs boot in the mac to skip the installed OS, or I was told that I might have to convert the .dmg files to get the files out of them in order to install this way.

Basicly, I cannot get onto the OS and its not my computer, I technically broke it since I installed the update, what do I have to do/can i do to fix this thing?

I need to install 10.4 on this thingie without loading into the OS.... What do I do? Do the .dmg files work? Do I need to convert them to an ISO format and burn that so that the cd structure contains all the files within the .dmg file instead of just housing the .dmg file? Are the Mac discs bootable? What do I need to do to boot and install the operating system?

Not only are you violating Apple's EULA with installing the OS on more than one Mac with one regular copy of OS X, you are using a pirated copy of Tiger. Niiice...

Did you read, by any chance, the forum rules when you registered ?

4 - Illegal Activity: We choose to follow United States law in regard to what is permissible to be discussed here. Therefore discussion of illegal file sharing, cracked programs, requests for serial numbers, and any other breaches of copyright or other illegal activity are not allowed in these forums.

This also includes discussion of breaking the terms of software or hardware EULAs.

You won't get help on this forum with illegal stuff and if you persist with the Tiger install, this thread will be locked.

Buy Tiger off of eBay.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.