WoW screen issues with 8800GT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 4GB ram
I posted this in the World of Warcraft Mac support section but as of yet I have not received ant useful feedback.....

I have a Mac Pro (2008) with a single 2.8 GHZ processor, 4 GB ram and an 8800GT video card. When I setup the computer last week I made sure to down load the latest software for OS X and I got the graphics update also.

I then loaded World of Warcraft and the Burning Crusade, applied all the patches and started it up. The Video settings it gave me were mostly maxed out.

I have since been fiddling with the computer (mostly the mouse) trying to get a good gaming feel. I finally got a mouse I like (Logitech LX7) and started really getting back into playing.

I now notice and issue I have with graphics while playing. From time to time I will get a horizontal slice in screen about 1/3rd of the way down from the top. It is like the screen is refreshing a a different rate or there is a pause in the refresh. It goes away as fast as it happens. It also seems to only happen when I am turning (have not noticed it when I am just moving in a straight line). Also, I can't tell if it is happening when I turn with the left or right arrows on the keyboard but it seems like it is not. That may be a result of the turn being much faster the other method of turning which is the right mouse button.

Anyway... It is hard to find a pattern to it.. The best I have at the moment is it will slice the screen for a split second as it draws the image, it does not happen all the time and I have yet to find a WoW video setting that will get rid of it.

Has anyone seen this in WoW that might have a "just change setting X to Y" kind of solution?

Thanks

Carl

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I have been poking around I found that it is called a tearing effect. It seems to be caused by FPS being more than the refresh rate of the monitor. I guess this confuses me.... why doesn't everyone who gets high FPS have a tearing issue? I was told to turn on vsync in WoW video settings and that this would cap me at 60 FPS (since my monitor is a refresh rate of 60).... 60 FPS is nothing to sneeze at but I am jealous of the people getting 200 and not experiencing tearing....

Oh well... I'll try the vsync tonight and see if my problem goes away.

Carl

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For anyone reading this with similar issues....

I did have a slight screen tearing issue. The Vsync ON setting fixed the problem an capped my FPS to my refresh rate (60FPS). I could not see any difference between 60FPS and the 200 I was getting in HFP so I am happy with the fix.

On the plus side... since I am almost always getting 60FPS now, I can turn off the stats and save some screen space.

Carl

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.