MacBook set-up wireless provider

Reaction score
I just purchased a macbook and I am going thorugh the initial start-up process and it is asking me to select a wi-fi provider and also to have a password for that provider. I have no idea which is the right provider to select and, therefore, I have no password. I was told at the store that, with my AirPort, I would be able to access the internet right out of the box. I am not planning on using wireless in my home, which is where I'm setting up the computer. I cannot access any menus or anything until I have completed start-up. Can anyone help me through this step? Thanks!

Reaction score
First off, welcome aboard. I don't think I quite understand your question though. Your MacBook is indeed ready out of the box to connect to any wireless provider you have. But if you don't have an internet service provider or a wireless router, there won't be anything to connect to...

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and thanks for your response. When the salesman at the apple store said, "I can take your macbook out of the box and connect to the internet, wireless, right now." I assumed that Safari was my isp and, as long as there was wi-fi in the building, I could connect. But I can't even get past this step in the set-up because I have no idea which wireless provider to select, nor do I have a password. Do I need to purchase a wireless provider? If so, that is definitely not "ready to connect out of the box". Also, if I do, which is a good one to use, that will work wherever there is wi-fi? Thanks.

OP
J
Reaction score
btw, if anyone is interested, you are supposed to click "...not connecting to the internet" to get past this step in the set-up. Totally counter-intuitive, as that is what you're supposed to be doing, but that's the solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Ok... first, I am sorry that you misunderstood, but what the salesperson told you is the industry standard. Ready to go out of the box means that you do not need any adapters for the computer, it does not mean that a provider and other things are included.

Second, how are you posting this now? Your regular internet provider can be made wireless with a the simple (and cheap) addition of a wireless router. You can get any one, from Office Depot or wherever. It does not have to be an Apple one.

[edit] You can connect anywhere there is a wireless (WiFi) signal right now. That is the out of the box part. It just seems you don't have the wireless signal in your home. [/edit]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.