BBC iPlayer comes to the iPhone

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
The BBC has launched a version of its iPlayer video on demand service for the Apple iPhone and iPod touch.

It is the first time the service has been available on portable devices.

The iPhone and iPod touch are able to stream shows from the iPlayer website over wi-fi networks. The iPhone cannot stream BBC video over the cell network. A BBC developer said that the corporation was currently working on other versions of the iPlayer for "many more" devices.

Anthony Rose, writing on the BBC internet blog, said: "We started with iPhone because it is the device most optimised for high quality video currently available.

"It displays the BBCiPlayer site and BBC programmes nicely."

The software currently comes in two versions - a program which allows users to download programmes to their Windows PC and a streaming version on the web available to all users.

The version for iPhone and iPod touch users will allow streaming over a wi-fi connection. However, the EDGE mobile network used by the iPhone is too slow for streaming video.

The corporation has agreed a deal with wi-fi firm The Cloud to provide all BBC online services for free at its 7,500 hotspots.

A version of iPlayer for Virgin Media customers is expected later this month.

Source: BBC.co.uk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I used this over the weekend - to watch Holby City or something equally dull but good at passing time whilst waiting for next dose of TV Football.

Quality looked ace on the little iPhone screen - looks pretty good on the MacBooks screen at full-screen size but I guess the smaller screen on the iPhone really did bring out the best from this service.

The speed was pretty great as well - a very short un-noticable delay and then the stream was fine - perfect - really pleased with the BBC's iPlayer service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
So does this mean I can watch Top Gear anytime I want now??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I think you have to be in the UK to use it - or at least have a UK IP address - and you can only watch BBC shows from the last 7 days :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo ,1GB memory, 80GB hard drive Mac mini + 8GB iPhone. <3
ugh.. the stupid thing just keeps crashing on me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.