y did they lose the old imac design???

I

i love macs

did anyone else just love the ability to move and swivel the imac screen? y did they change that??? it seems like a step backward. dont get me wrong, i love all things mac, but im not to sure about the imac g5. in power and price its fantasic, but the design just doesnt stand up to expectations. it may be thin for its power but 5cm is still very thick and clunky! and damit i love being able to adust the screen position with such ease :-( im in mourning for the old design

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It was about durability. The convenience of that display came at the expense of long term durability

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would hazard a guess, that the G5 processor would not work/fit in the old iMac lamp design.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
My guess is that they wanted to come back to the initial All-in-one, like the first iMac and the eMac. The iMac G4 was more a "pseudo All-in-one", because it's speakers were external, and the screen, eventhough attached to the base, was optically detached.
The iMac G5 comes back to the "everything in the screen" philosophy of the 1st iMac. But I agree, they could have done better...

OP
M

McMac

i love macs said:
did anyone else just love the ability to move and swivel the imac screen? y did they change that??? it seems like a step backward. dont get me wrong, i love all things mac, but im not to sure about the imac g5. in power and price its fantasic, but the design just doesnt stand up to expectations. it may be thin for its power but 5cm is still very thick and clunky! and damit i love being able to adust the screen position with such ease :-( im in mourning for the old design

Not only was the ability to move the screen better, I think the overall look was much better. Yes, the iMac G5 looks grow on you, but not as much as the G4 design IMO. The screen has no "chin", and does not look like anthing else in the product lineup (i.e. G5Imac and eMac).

I must admit, the drive door not being able to slide over the keyboard on the g4 was a bad oversight.

OP
I

iSheep

This is just history repeating, again.

I remember when the G4 iMac came out and the audience in California was very unsure and it took a moment for them to clap. I remember reading on forums people saying how pointless the screen on an arm was. I remember people hating the white. I remember people hating it.

And once again lots of people saying "ohh the old one was much nicer". You won't be saying that in 1 year's time.

Personally I love it. It needed a refresh, just like the G3s did.

:)
Edit: how is that a happy smilie?

Reaction score
Doesn't the G4 have built in speakers?, the one I am using at school right now keeps beeping at me but I don't see any speakers.

OP
M

McMac

mynameis said:
Doesn't the G4 have built in speakers?, the one I am using at school right now keeps beeping at me but I don't see any speakers.

No, the G4 has external speakers. The G5 does at the bottom of the screen however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Personally I love the new G5 -- the hottest all-in-one Mac yet! :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
McMac said:
No, the G4 has external speakers. The G5 does at the bottom of the screen however.

The G4 iMac has one build-in, crappy sounding speaker, that is turned off when you plugin the Pro speakers. Which you need to have a good and stereo sound.

Reaction score
Avalon said:
The G4 iMac has one build-in, crappy sounding speaker, that is turned off when you plugin the Pro speakers. Which you need to have a good and stereo sound.

That must have been what I was hearing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
i loved the G4 more... however.. the new one is cool to... *still hooked on the PowerMac G4 design* :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Because like just about everything having to do with computers (except power) they are trying to fit more in a smaller space

OP
B

Badger

In my opinion...
The G4 iMac design is like a 1963 Corvette Split-window coupe or an XKE Jaguar, the G5 is just another SUV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.